Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Average Account Age

tag
Nick777
Valued Member

Calculating Average Account Age

I am aware that the average age of your accounts is a factor in your credit score. However, what type accounts are included in this average age, specifically: Are all credit card accounts included or are there some cards which are excluded? Are mortgages, student, auto or other installment loans included? Are closed accounts of any type included, or just open accounts? I'm managing my mother's accounts, and she has 11 CC and numerous other accounts. It appears that cancelling some of the new CCs would increase the average age of the CC accounts, but I don't know if anything else gets factored in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Calculating Average Account Age

All TLs count against age. Don't cancel accounts unless they are costing you money.

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-01-2007 03:47 PM
Message 2 of 31
Nick777
Valued Member

Just to clarify - even closed TLs count against age; therefore it does not matter whether a TL is open or closed when age is calculated?
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick777 wrote:
Just to clarify - even closed TLs count against age; therefore it does not matter whether a TL is open or closed when age is calculated?

If the score was calculated on the very day that a TL was closed -- then no, it wouldn't matter.  But it's unlikely that will happen.

Age is your friend. The score takes into account the age of the oldest TL -- so you don't want to close your very first CC.  It also takes into account the average age of all accounts -- so you don't want to close a bunch of accounts.
Message 4 of 31
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Nick777 wrote:

According to EX, that does not appear to be the case.  There seem to be two measurements - when the first account was opened is one.  But they seem to be using my active TLs to calculate the length of my credit history.  Hence the one active card that does not report to them (out of 4) makes a huge difference to the average.  Whereas that one card out of all my cards would have no impact on the average age.

I might be confused here, but that is what the averages say

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 06-01-2007 04:36 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 31
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

As far as age is concerned... only open TLs count.. Util, payment history, ect. still count on closed TL, however.
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question. If I have 1 credit card from 9 years ago that was open for 2 months, does that add 2 months in to average age or 9 years?
Message 7 of 31
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Tuscani wrote:
As far as age is concerned... only open TLs count.. Util, payment history, ect. still count on closed TL, however.

I have to disagree with you on this one! I have an old, closed AU TL reporting on EQ and TU and they have done two things: significantly raised my credit length history and average-age of my accounts. EX does not report this TL so my credit length history and average-age of accounts is much shorter and my score seems to reflect this.

Message Edited by fused111 on 08-28-2007 08:53 AM
Message 8 of 31
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@fused111 wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this one! I have an old, closed AU TL reporting on EQ and TU and they have done two things: significantly raised my credit length history and average-age of my accounts. EX does not report this TL so my credit length history and average-age of accounts is much shorter and my score seems to reflect this.

Message Edited by fused111 on 08-28-2007 08:53 AM

Right you are fused.
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate / deleted. I keep hitting reply instead of edit. Sorry. Smiley Sad

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 08-28-2007 02:19 PM
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.