cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can FICO 2 AND FICO 8 treat the same account in an entirely different manner?

tag
tmacar
Contributor

Can FICO 2 AND FICO 8 treat the same account in an entirely different manner?

I was forced into bankruptcy in June 2015.  For the past year, until mid-March, my Experian based FICO 2 , which is what my bank uses,was always from 3 to 6 points higher than my FICO 8, which is what Experian shows me through their Credit Tracker product.  In mid-March, my 8 was 671.  I went to the bank, and my 2 was 630.  Not only was it suddenly over 40 points lower than my 8, but it was lower than it had been the last time the bank pulled it, in September, when it was 656.  It took a long time to figure it out, but it boiled down to a single account.

When the bank pulls the 2, and when I pull it myself (through Experiasn's Credit Works) I have a high revolving credit utilization.  Experian shows me the usage under "what is hurting my sacore".  When I pull the 8, Experian has my the usage under "what is helping your score".  My usage with a FICO 2 pull is 40% and with a FICO 8 it's 25%.

Doing the math it turned out that the difference is an account I had reaffirmed after the bankruptcy.  It was originally a revolving account, and the original shows as closed and discharged through Chapter 7.  They opened a new account in Nov. '15 for me to pay off what I'd reafffirmed.  On the reports I can see from Experian on my computer, it's listed as Type:  Home Furnishings Store, Terms: Revolving, and Status Closed.  Balance almost $1K, payments $38/mo.  All payments made as agreed.  The store, after some internal audit or other, sent corrections to all 3 bureaus.  Payment history hadn't been showing correctly, and it had not been showing that it was a Reaffirmation acciount, rather than a normal revolving account that had been closed with a balance still owing.

According to the store, that balance should not even be inviolved in my revolving usage computation.  But in the report Experian shows me, there is no place to specify that it is a reaffirmation account.  On the other hand, when I called Experian the guy said it was designated as a reaffirmation account.

The really puzzling thing is that doing the math (add all revolving limits together, add all revolving balances together, then divide balances total by limits total) gave 40% (what the FICO 2 pull said I had) when the reaffirmation account is included in the math, and 25% (what the FICP 8 pull said I had) when it is not included.  Obviously, wherther or not it really says someplace that it's a reaffirmation account, the FICO 2 is treating it as a closed revolving account with a balance and no counterbalancing limit, while the FICO 8 is ignoring it as far as revolving usage is concerned.. That adds almost $1K to my revolving balances, when I only have about $5200 in limits.

I do not know when this started to happen, since I don't usually see my FICO 2.  I get the 8 along with my Credit Tracker subscription, and if I want my 2 or any other edition score I have to go over to Credit Works and pay for it.  But as I said, my 2 had always been a few points higher than my 8, and the last time the bank pulled it, in September, it was 656, 4 points higher than my 8 was then.  Then in March FICO 2 was showing high usage (40%) while FICO 8 was showing low usage (29%), the 2 was suddenly over 40 lower than the 8, and was even lower than it had been in September.   Apparently, sometime between Sept. '16 and Mar. '17 the FICO 2 started using that account's balance in the revolving usage math.

WHAT us going on here?  Can the FICO 2 treat an account as part of revolving usage at the same time as the FICO 8 does not?

My FICO 8 right now is 677.  Given the historical difference, until now, between my 8 and my 2, it's a near certainty that ny 2 would reach or break 680 if that account's balance was not being figured into the revolving usage equation.   And 680 or higher would give me both a 12 month longer repayment period and a lower interest rate.for refinancing my car which, for reasons that don't matter here, absolutely has to be done quickly.  In fact, the interest rate difference between 680 or higher and 637, which was my FICO 2 as of about a week ago, is incredible.  That 637 is, for the bank, 3 whole tiers below 680.

Can anyone explain why the FICO 2 is seeing the account as a revolving account while the FICO 8 is not?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Can FICO 2 AND FICO 8 treat the same account in an entirely different manner?

Good explanation of your situation. Always nice to see all the details.

I don't  have a definite answer for you, other than yes, it is likely the FICO 2, as an earlier / different model is treating the Closed account as fully utilized and relevant to your overall utilization.

I had a couple of closed credit cards when I started here, getting the score notes. From what I could tell, the FICO 8 was virtually excluding those balances from the score calculations. I don't think it matters whether the lender classifies it as something fancy, it is a closed account, and to my knowledge, that is all FICO 8 cares about.

In my early February MyFICO all-scores report, the EX FICO Auto Score 8 is 816, and the EX FICO Auto Score 2 is 750. At that time I have 16 of 24 credit cards reporting balances, the closed account is only a little over $1k so likely not the main influence, rather the number of accounts reporting is probably the reason for my differences.

Have you checked with a local credit union about options for refinancing your vehicle? If the bank you work with uses a scoring model that is going to give you a higher APR, then it might be worth your time to try another credit union who might use a different model. It may be that all the FICO models used for auto scoring do this, but probably worth at least comparing to see what a CU can do.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 3
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Can FICO 2 AND FICO 8 treat the same account in an entirely different manner?

@tmacar wrote:

Can the FICO 2 treat an account as part of revolving usage at the same time as the FICO 8 does not?

Yes.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.