cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I dispute inquiries that are older than a year that show up in my report???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I dispute inquiries that are older than a year that show up in my report???

Hello guys, let me start by saying that you all have been helpful in educating me on what and what not's to do in credit responsibility.

Ok in my current Transunion report, can I dispute the accounts older than one year like BoA(04/07), WaMu(05/07), and Cap1(12/06). I know a inquiry hurts your score for one year, and fall off the second year, but can I dispute these inquiries just because they show on my current report?

Inquiries that may be affecting your FICO® score

Total: 7 Times

Date                                 Company making the inquiry

November 01, 2008             First Usa Na

June 03, 2008                    Bank Of America

March 05, 2008                  Washmtl/Prov

February 16, 2008              Capital One Bank Usa Na

July 05, 2007                     Bank Of America

May 23, 2007                     Washmtl/Prov

December 16, 2006             Capital One Bank Usa Na

Message Edited by jjmite on 11-05-2008 08:55 PM
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I dispute inquiries that are older than a year that show up in my report???

No.  Inquiries fall off your report after two years.  Your Cap One will fall off your report in Dec, and those two from '07s will fall off during the coming year. There's really nothing here to dispute. 

Ignore the TU 'advice'.  Inqs within the last 12 months affect your FICO, but not after that.

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I dispute inquiries that are older than a year that show up in my report???

No.  Inquiries fall off your report after two years.  Your Cap One will fall off your report in Dec, and those two from '07s will fall off during the coming year. There's really nothing here to dispute. 

Ignore the TU 'advice'.  Inqs within the last 12 months affect your FICO, but not after that.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you writemikep, for your quick response. I will just ignore them, and wait for them to fall off.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem Smiley Wink   And by March 6th, only the most recent two will affect your score, so you should see some improvement in your FICO over the next four months.
Message 4 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Also, inqs really don't hurt most people's scores that much, and you can get into a world of hurt by disputing inqs, especially those which resulted in accounts which you now have. Think having fraud alerts slammed on all three of your reports as a started.

Also also, it's unethical to dispute legit entries on your reports, and we don't do that here. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When EXACTLY do inquiries fall off?  My wife has an inquiry on EX dated 1/16/07 and when we pulled her report through CreditCheck Total today (1/18/09), it was still showing.  Should it have come off on 1/16/09, or is it not exactly two years, but should come off sometime this month?  Thanks!
Message 6 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Mike14 wrote:
When EXACTLY do inquiries fall off?  My wife has an inquiry on EX dated 1/16/07 and when we pulled her report through CreditCheck Total today (1/18/09), it was still showing.  Should it have come off on 1/16/09, or is it not exactly two years, but should come off sometime this month?  Thanks!

I found that they fall off on the exact anniversary (MM/DD/YYYY.)

For scoring, I got points for a new account hitting its twelve-month birthday on the first day of that month, but that I had to wait until the exact date for the inq to stop counting. Others found that they had to wait until the exact date for the account to stop showing as new, so obviously this varies.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is there anything I should do besides waiting? The 16th was a Friday, so I guess it's possible that between the weekend and the holiday on Monday (MLK day)an it might not come off till Tuesday, and may not show at CCT till Wednesday, but if it is still there Thursday, should I contact the CRA?
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

An inquiry dated 1/19/07 came off EQ today, but the one from 1/16/07 is still on EX!
Message 9 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Give it until the end of the month. It isn't hurting anything anyway.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.