cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I take another "hard hit" to my credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I take another "hard hit" to my credit report?

Here's my situation.

Back at the end of July, I applied for a motgage and was pre-approved.  My credit score wast just above "Excellent."

Unfortunately, I am looking to buy a forclosure, and the Bank of America is requiring a "pre-approval" from the Bank of America to write a purchase agreement.  I don't have to use them as my lender, however.

My fear is that another "hard hit" from B of A may lower my credit score enough to take me out the the "Excellent" range and get me a slightly lower interest rate.

This would be my second "hard hit" in about one month.  Would this lower my credit score and possibly put me in the Good, but not excellent score range?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I take another "hard hit" to my credit report?

Please direct your attention to the following information, which is available on this site:

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/CreditInquiries.aspx

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Zinovy wrote:

Here's my situation.

Back at the end of July, I applied for a motgage and was pre-approved.  My credit score wast just above "Excellent."

Unfortunately, I am looking to buy a forclosure, and the Bank of America is requiring a "pre-approval" from the Bank of America to write a purchase agreement.  I don't have to use them as my lender, however.

My fear is that another "hard hit" from B of A may lower my credit score enough to take me out the the "Excellent" range and get me a slightly lower interest rate.

This would be my second "hard hit" in about one month.  Would this lower my credit score and possibly put me in the Good, but not excellent score range?

Ditto to creditwherecreditisdue. Inquiries within a 14 or 30 day period count as one per scoring, depending on the CRA and the FICO version used.

OP, check your score source. FICO doesn't use the term "Excellent" to describe the score. All FICO sources use "Great". Make sure the score you pulled was a FICO score.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Mortgage inquiries are totally ignored by FICO scoring until 30-days after the inq.

Then inquiries within 14 days of one another that are greater than one month ago are, on a sliding window, scored as only one. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.