Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Someone Explain This Scoring @$%&@

tag
lazerz69
Contributor

Can Someone Explain This Scoring @$%&@

I disputed a CA with a small balance under $300.00.

At the time I disputed the CA I received a Score Watch Alert.

The Score Watch Alert reflected the dispute with the CA, but there was no decrease in my score.

The CRA, (Equifax), just completed the investigation and it came back verified.

I received another Score Watch Alert after the investigation was complete.  This time my score went down 23 points.

I reviewed the old and the new CA reporting and the only difference was the term "disputed" was removed.

Can someone explain why, when I first disputed the item there was no change in my score, but when the dispute was removed there was a 23 point decrease.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scoring @$%&@

Are you sure there was no change when you first disputed the account.  A dispute causes certain items to be ignored for scoring, so you may have seen an increase when you disputed the account, and then once the dispute was resolved, the negative account was scored again, causing you to lose the points you gained.

Also, are you sure nothing else has changed like utilization on your cards, new accounts, etc.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
lazerz69
Contributor

Walt - Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

I went back and reviewed my CR and my Score Watch Alerts.

At the time I disputed this CA, no other item/information was processing or being disputed.  My Score Watch Alert show this particular CA as being disputed, but there was no increase in my credit score.  Score Watch showed my score as unchanged.

I went back and reviewed this CA as it showed on my CR before the dispute and after the dispute.  The CA, as reported, is identical both before and after the dispute, including all information in the "comments'" section of the report.

That is why I am aggravated.  It was my understanding that, as you point out, at the time of dispute, certain items will be ignored for scoring purposes, but as stated, I never received a bump, even though it would have been temporary during the dispute.

I did not receive a bump, but I sure received a drop in score.

Message 3 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Some CA accounts don't report monthly.  New activity can cause the account to update, which sometimes causes FICO score to drop.  I'm a little hazy on how this part works, but I think I've read of people seeing drops because the DOLA changed.  Maybe someone else can elaborate on that point.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, don't assume the TL on the alert is the cause for the score drop. Your EQ report changes all the time and it could be that something else changed like a balance increase, an added baddie, or other changes resulted in the net loss of 23 (or whatever it was). For example, I had a 20 gain due to adding an inquiry. The inquiry didn't add 20 to EQ FICO, but it was other items happening in the background that caused the net score change (dropped baddie in my case). I'd review every TL in your before and after reports to look for any changes.

Message 5 of 22
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Personally, I don't think that FICO is a reasonable scoring system for credit.  I think it makes mistakes all the time and isn't perfect at all.  But it is what it is and this is what lenders use to base their credit decisions.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 22
britishexpat
Established Member

I have just had a big problem with transunion.... cap1 had not updated my info and stated I had 2 months late payments when this was not true, made a complaint into TU before any info was updated my score was (718) next  month it dropped to (708)  - 10 points due to this, after the complaint was resolved and updated it dropped another 23 points to 685 wth is going on with this club of scoring bull(*879ters?

Started Credit ladder April 2012.
First Year on ladder Scores: April 2013
Walmart TU FICO 654
Equifax FICO 617
Experian FICO 639
Transunion FICO 654

Started with very low limits at 300 each.
one year in limits and some nice New Cards in wallet:
Amex Green Open Limit
Amex Gold Rewards Open Limit
Amex Dillards 1k
Chase Slate 3.5k
Lowes 1.5k
Amazon 1.5k
Walmart 1k
TexacoChevron 1k
Furniture Row 1.7k
Cap 1 newcomers 750
Cap 1 Secured 450 (kept for AAoA)
Banana Republic 800
Chase Freedom 500
14.5k in first year, plus 3.5k Cap 1 Business (18k)

current UT @ 30% will all be clear this month so expecting scores to rise to 700's.

not bad for first years credit.
Message 7 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

@britishexpat wrote:

I have just had a big problem with transunion.... cap1 had not updated my info and stated I had 2 months late payments when this was not true, made a complaint into TU before any info was updated my score was (718) next  month it dropped to (708)  - 10 points due to this, after the complaint was resolved and updated it dropped another 23 points to 685 wth is going on with this club of scoring bull(*879ters?

When you say updated, what did they exactly do?  Also we are talking about your TU FICO score gotten from here I will assume.

I would look at other changes in your TU report and also make sure they just didn't delete the TL or mark the account as closed if it was listed as open.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 22
marty56
Super Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Personally, I don't think that FICO is a reasonable scoring system for credit.  I think it makes mistakes all the time and isn't perfect at all.  But it is what it is and this is what lenders use to base their credit decisions.

As a formula, it just crunches data so I would look at the input data.  Since it's based on probability and statistics, it's output may not predict the correct result but it is consistent.

There never could be a perfect scoring formula.  Someone will always be given too much credit so to speak or not enough.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 22
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

As a formula, it just crunches data so I would look at the input data.  Since it's based on probability and statistics, it's output may not predict the correct result but it is consistent.

There never could be a perfect scoring formula.  Someone will always be given too much credit so to speak or not enough.

FICO doesn't always correctly interpret the input data.  Slight changes that result from disputes (such as date reported on a charge-off) that would have no effect on the decision of a human reading the report can cause drastic fluctuations in a FICO score.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.