cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a dispute cause my EQ FICO to drop 19 points !!!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a dispute cause my EQ FICO to drop 19 points !!!?

So, I have been doing wonderful at rebuilding -- my scores were up to:  TU 603  EX 606   EQ 591   from 505's 6 months ago up until yesterday. Today, I refreshed my Credit Check Total (Daily FICOs and reports) and I am at:  TU 615  EX 610  EQ 572 ?!!   My CAP ONE balances reported as much lower UTIL, hence the bump in TU and EX -- havent yet reported to EQ for some reason.  The only thing I did today earlier was file a dispute on a negative account on EQ -- a one year old account reporting as an installment account, that is NOT an installment acount (I owe the Treasury $500 for double cashing a bond in 2012).  

What could this drop be ??  Due to that dispute ? Can a dispute cause a score drop??  My AAofA is 7 years, oldest is 12.5 yrs old.  I'm lost!  Hopefully when my Cap One UTIL reports tonight it will go back up, but I'm perplexed as to the drop.  LITERALLY NOTHING has changed, trust me I went over with a fine toothed comb for the past 2 hours LOL!!!!  The dispute was filed today in the AM, pulled reports and FICOs about 1-2 hrs ago.  Any info would be great.  Thank you !

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can a dispute cause my EQ FICO to drop 19 points !!!?

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I have been doing wonderful at rebuilding -- my scores were up to:  TU 603  EX 606   EQ 591   from 505's 6 months ago up until yesterday. Today, I refreshed my Credit Check Total (Daily FICOs and reports) and I am at:  TU 615  EX 610  EQ 572 ?!!   My CAP ONE balances reported as much lower UTIL, hence the bump in TU and EX -- havent yet reported to EQ for some reason.  The only thing I did today earlier was file a dispute on a negative account on EQ -- a one year old account reporting as an installment account, that is NOT an installment acount (I owe the Treasury $500 for double cashing a bond in 2012).  

What could this drop be ??  Due to that dispute ? Can a dispute cause a score drop??  My AAofA is 7 years, oldest is 12.5 yrs old.  I'm lost!  Hopefully when my Cap One UTIL reports tonight it will go back up, but I'm perplexed as to the drop.  LITERALLY NOTHING has changed, trust me I went over with a fine toothed comb for the past 2 hours LOL!!!!  The dispute was filed today in the AM, pulled reports and FICOs about 1-2 hrs ago.  Any info would be great.  Thank you !

Yes.  A dispute can discount the tradeline from scoring; was that your only tradeline reporting as installment?  Was it a positive account?

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

No that's what makes no sense. I have many student loans and auto loan. This literally happened right after I reported the dispute. Nothing else changed and I'm perplexed .. Tu and EX both went up today too
Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
No that's what makes no sense. I have many student loans and auto loan. This literally happened right after I reported the dispute. Nothing else changed and I'm perplexed .. Tu and EX both went up today too

Unfortunately dispute effects on scoring make no sense TBH, they're flat out wonky.  I'd let the dispute run it's course and then see where you stand.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.