Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain? I am clueless

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone explain? I am clueless

My FICO score (Experian) was 769 a week back. The only negative listed is that my oldest account is only 6 years and 2 months old. Not much I can do about this since I moved to this country only 6 yeas and 2 months back.

My credit inquiries in  last 12 months - 0

Never late on any account

On that given day when the report was pulled, I had used 1% of my available credit balance.

Today I got an alert that my score has gone upto 674. Nothing else has changed except my available credit utilization. It is now 4%. Surely if at all this would impact my score it would have to be negative? Why is it positive?

Can someone explain the change in my score? I am clueless. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Can someone explain? I am clueless

you said your score was 769, and that it went UP to 674???  i think you might have made a typo.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. You are correct it was a typo. I meant 774. 
Message 3 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes a slight increase in balance, or the use of a previously idle card, can lead to a small increase in your score.  The FICO score "likes" to see a pattern resembling responsible use of credit.  Showing active use of your credit while staying below the 9% utilization threshold has an overall positive effect on your score.

The scores can be pretty sensitive to even small changes in your credit profile.  This is especially true if you are at the higher end of the scale.

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Another guess, since this is the beginning of a month: one of your accounts had a "birthday."
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.