Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Loan added to my CR

tag
nmbrsgrl
Contributor

Car Loan added to my CR

My first payment isn't until next month. When should I expect to see an increase in my credit score? After a couple of payments?

I would like to add a couple of credit cards now and then garden for awhile. My thinking being take the hit on my AAoA and the HP altogether.

Starting Score: 582
Current Score: EQ658|TU654|EX640 as of 10/19/15
Goal Score: 720+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Car Loan added to my CR

Revolving accounts tend to show more score increases in a short time.

I added a car loan in May 2013 then a new refi loan a year later and neither had an immediate impact (no score gain) on my score.

Revolving credit cards did however.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

@nmbrsgrl wrote:

My first payment isn't until next month. When should I expect to see an increase in my credit score? After a couple of payments?

I would like to add a couple of credit cards now and then garden for awhile. My thinking being take the hit on my AAoA and the HP altogether.

There are short-term costs in adding new accounts, for example the inquiry hit and the reduced AAoA.

Message 3 of 4
HiLine
Blogger

It will take a while. Initially your balance on the loan is pretty big, and that will remain a burden on your credit score. Over time, you pay down the loan, the balance decreases and your score will eventually benefit from the car loan, assuming this is your first or second installment loan on your credit profile. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.