Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car shopping inquiries...

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Car shopping inquiries...

I take back everything I said about car shopping INQ's tanking your score...

I've taken 8 INQ's on EQ this weekend.  The first dropped my score 1 point... the rest didn't drop it at all according to myFICO.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
EddieK
Established Contributor

Re: Car shopping inquiries...

That's been my experience too.  I took 2, one for membership to a CU and one for the loan, didn't affect my score a single point.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

I've taken 8 INQ's on EQ this weekend.  The first dropped my score 1 point... the rest didn't drop it at all according to myFICO.

They count as 1 inquiry for FICO scoring.  Glad to see that one didn't hurt.  Inquiries won't hurt as much when you have the credit file to support them.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have alot of car shopping inquiries. I went to multiple dealers over the course of 2 months searching for a new car. My EX report says I have 5 inquiries for new credit (credit cards) but I have 13 inquiries total. They didn't seem to affect my score at all, and if they did it was maybe just a point or 2

Message 4 of 14
IamB2
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

For scoring purposes, all INQs within a (i think) 14 day period are counted as one. However, the INQs will still show up on the report and you could be denied credit for multiple inquries when seeking instant approvals. These can be explained when you recon, but initially may result in lower instant approvals.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IamB2 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

For scoring purposes, all INQs within a (i think) 14 day period are counted as one. However, the INQs will still show up on the report and you could be denied credit for multiple inquries when seeking instant approvals. These can be explained when you recon, but initially may result in lower instant approvals.

I was really shocked when I was instantly approved for my AMEX last week lol

Message 6 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@IamB2 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Actually it's only Auto and Mortgage inquiries (not all inquiries, never ever credit card inquiries) which are rolled up and scored as 1 within a period of time.  It further depends on the model used, but since EX Risk Model v2, which is a FICO '98 algorithm, is the usual score for mortgage applications, 2 weeks is accurate.

For completeness though:

FICO '98: 2 weeks

FICO '04: 30 days

FICO 8: 45 days

        
Message 7 of 14
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@IamB2 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Actually it's only Auto and Mortgage inquiries (not all inquiries, never ever credit card inquiries) which are rolled up and scored as 1 within a period of time.  It further depends on the model used, but since EX Risk Model v2, which is a FICO '98 algorithm, is the usual score for mortgage applications, 2 weeks is accurate.

For completeness though:

FICO '98: 2 weeks

FICO '04: 30 days

FICO 8: 45 days

Right on. That is what I meant, but I guess I didn't clarify seeing how we were talking about the auto inquiries. Smiley Happy Thanks For the clarification (in my stead) Smiley Happy

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 8 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yeah I already went on my CC app spree in December with 4 new accounts all instant approvals and have no plans to apply for any more CC's until this coming December at the earliest... by then these auto inquiries will have aged along with everything else.

I'm just glad to see that the "all counts as 1" came true because eating a dozen inquiries isn't something I wanted to do...

In the end though it was worth it...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice car! Hopefully you don't live where it snows Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.