Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenged a collection account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Challenged a collection account

I challenged a collection account and it was removed from my credit report and my score dropped 15 points.... thought removing collection accounts would help my credit what happened???
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Challenged a collection account

Something else likely also occured since your last score was retrieved that had a negative effect......

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No the alert specifically says collection account removed from credit report -15
Message 3 of 8
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
No the alert specifically says collection account removed from credit report -15

An alert can be triggered by one event, and the message attached to it can be something else.  It's very common.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you guess I’ll just have to see if something else comes up. First time I would have had that happen usually it’s accurate with what it says
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
I challenged a collection account and it was removed from my credit report and my score dropped 15 points.... thought removing collection accounts would help my credit what happened???

Was it a Fico score drop?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes fico for TransUnion droped 15 points says for a collection removal
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally i've learned to pull the reports and go over them with a fine tooth comb. Once you have done due diligence and can really pin point the difference between the 2 scores then we will be better able to explain.

This could be that your account that dropped was your only installment loan, so your credit mix took a hit...or it could be that it was such an old account that even with the lates it pulled your AAOA up and the loss of it hurts your score for the short term.

So many possibilities exist. It would be helpful for you to investigate more.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.