cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of address gave me a 17 point drop?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Change of address gave me a 17 point drop?

Experian has been the most brutal to me in regards to credit scores. They always give me the lowest score by a large margin. Just today Experian drop my score by 17 points because they noticed an address change. It's not even really correct considering that I use my PO Box and not my physical address but they just discovered the physical one. Does this sound normal to have a score drop so much due to an address change?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Change of address gave me a 17 point drop?

I seriously doubt that the address change had anything to do with your score drop - someone else please chime in but I have never heard of this. I would think your score dropped for another reason and you just saw an alert that mentioned the address change but the address change and score drop are unrelated events.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I seriously doubt that the address change had anything to do with your score drop - someone else please chime in but I have never heard of this. I would think your score dropped for another reason and you just saw an alert that mentioned the address change but the address change and score drop are unrelated events.

I agree completely. Something else did it. Maybe a drop in AAOA.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest that perhaps a reported utilization change resulted in the score drop.  If that's the case, the other bureaus will follow suit soon enough and you'll see score drops as well.  OP, what has changed (aside from your address) with respect to your credit profile in the last month?  Think things like payment history, utilization, number of revolvers with balances reported, AAoA, inquiries, new accounts, etc.

Message 4 of 8
Regular Contributor

Is time at current address a scoring factor?
Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@909 wrote:
Is time at current address a scoring factor?

No.  I would however consider that more of a factor than address alone as a change of address could suggest slightly more risk entered into the equation, but FICO scoring doesn't look at that.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still can't figure it out. Nothing else has changed. No inquiries. myFICO gives me an alert of a score change. Occasionally it will notify me of other changes like balance or address. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There really aren't too many things that can result in a score drop.  The most common ones are usually applying for new credit (inquiries, new account(s), AAoA reduction), late payments or other negative items and revolving account utilization increases.  If none of these 3 things changed, I would think it's quite rare to see a score decrease.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.