Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off or settled?

tag
kd529
Valued Member

Charge off or settled?

i have a discover card with old balance $3770. Will settling the balance hurt my score more than the charge off already has. My score is in the gutter already and need it to come up to get a mortgage. Do I just leave it as is or is at least paying it in settlement better.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge off or settled?

@kd529 wrote:

i have a discover card with old balance $3770. Will settling the balance hurt my score more than the charge off already has. My score is in the gutter already and need it to come up to get a mortgage. Do I just leave it as is or is at least paying it in settlement better.  

If its updating monthly its keeping your Fico score depressed and I would settle it with them to stop the updating, you can attempt the PFD. If it hasnt updated in awhile settling it without getting the PFD will cause a Fico score drop as the CO would look new in its eyes.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While paying will likely not help your score, that is not the only factor.  It is not simply a determination that if it wont help your score, you should not pay.

Paying will look infinately better in any manual review.

The reporting of a CO is essentially a statement by a prior creditor that you are expected to stiff them on the entire debt.

That is a killer in any consideration by a future potential creditor..... this consumer has a history of not paying their debt, and yet wants new credit.

By paying, you show that their determination that you are not going to pay did not, in fact, end up being the case.

You did pay when able, and thus you demonstarte that you do take responsibility for prior obligated debt.

A huge difference.

Settling for less is an in-betweener.  You do attempt to discharge debt, but only at the expense of a loss to the creditor.

That is still an unfavorable portrait in future decisions, as creditors dont expect to take losses in their lending.

If you can get a creditor to agree to a settlement for less and also not to report paid/settled for less to the CRA, then it will appear the same to one viewing your credit report as if it had been paid in full.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying in full (PIF)  will help your scores, but not by much.

I too had a charge-off from Discover that I recently just PIF last month. 

Amount was a little over $6,300. I thought by payingin full I would see a huge score increase.

Across all three I averaged about 23+ pts increased. . . Very disappointed. I wish I would have settled.

Message 4 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Settling an account will not raise your score it is also considered derogatory. Sometimes the score may go up when the account is settled. One reason is  the impact of the settled account on your creidit utilization.  Secondly the score will also drop when the account is settled. Two examples are an account that has no derogatory information and secondly a derogatory account that has not reported for a while when it is updated to settled the score may drop. Due the dreogatory information is more recent than before. I would work with Discover to pay the account in full.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.