Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Free? Who is that?

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Check Free? Who is that?

So I pulled my TU report after netSpend sent me a Prepaid MC with my name which I never have applied for. I pulled my report because I fear someone is using my identity. A strange unknow inquries is on my TU report,

Check Free

6000 Permeter Dr.

Dublin OH 43017

(614) 564-3000

Anyone know who this Check Free is? This company only did a soft inquirie on my report, but still. Want to figure out.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Check Free? Who is that?

The only thing I know about CheckFree is that it handles the online payments for my Macy's credit card. I don't think they're an independent credit-issuing company, based on the brief research I just did about this company (now owned by Fiserv). Do you have a credit card that also uses CheckFree to process its payments? Then again, I don't know why the company would need to soft you even if you do have a CC that uses CheckFree.
Message 2 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Lel wrote:
The only thing I know about CheckFree is that it handles the online payments for my Macy's credit card. I don't think they're an independent credit-issuing company, based on the brief research I just did about this company (now owned by Fiserv). Do you have a credit card that also uses CheckFree to process its payments? Then again, I don't know why the company would need to soft you even if you do have a CC that uses CheckFree.

Check Free (now Fiserv) offers many options to its business related customers and has a wide range of customers. Could be a soft pull based on employment check, as example. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 5
chasmith
Valued Contributor

CheckFree has moved around various ownership structures, but among other businesses they provide the "engine" that powers almost all Billpay services.  They offer a direct service, and are providing the service "behind" USAA billpay, NFCIU Billpay and as I said, most banks, as well as Quicken Billpay, which I use.

The Billpay shouildn't vause a credit inquiry though...  It never has for me (I used to use MSN Billpay, also a CheckFree product, but moved to Quicken software and bill pay service when Microsoft discontinued MS Money).

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Well, the only BillPay service I used so far is Wells Fargo. It is very strange for a BillPay company to pull my credit report. Beside that there is nothing fishy on my TU report.

I'll pull my EQ report 3 months later, then EX. I'm pulling this from annualcreditreport meaning I can only pull 1 CR per year.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.