cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of CC Utilization Please

tag
roost3r

Clarification of CC Utilization Please

Can someone please clarify for me the utilization aspect of revolving credit on CC's?

Im currently sitting at a 673 FICO and a 47% CC utilization. I plan on paying these down before the next cycle this month so my FICO will jump. Im confused though on whether the utilization needs to be <10% (preferably 1%) on the whole line of credit across all cards or pay all cards off but one and have that one at 1% to 10% of its credit limit.

For clarification:

Total credit line $3500 paying utilization to <10% would be $350 left on one card even if that card only has a $1000 limit

OR

Pay off 2 cards leaving 0 balance leaving the one credit card with a $1000 limit paying it to 10% would be $100.

I know this is probably stupid but Im looking for the magic number and the difference between the 2 could be the difference in scorning.

Much appreciated in advance!

Jeff

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Clarification of CC Utilization Please

@roost3r wrote:

Can someone please clarify for me the utilization aspect of revolving credit on CC's?

Im currently sitting at a 673 FICO and a 47% CC utilization. I plan on paying these down before the next cycle this month so my FICO will jump. Im confused though on whether the utilization needs to be <10% (preferably 1%) on the whole line of credit across all cards or pay all cards off but one and have that one at 1% to 10% of its credit limit.

For clarification:

Total credit line $3500 paying utilization to <10% would be $350 left on one card even if that card only has a $1000 limit

OR

Pay off 2 cards leaving 0 balance leaving the one credit card with a $1000 limit paying it to 10% would be $100.

I know this is probably stupid but Im looking for the magic number and the difference between the 2 could be the difference in scorning.

Much appreciated in advance!

Jeff

The red one!!!!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

Message 3 of 5
roost3r

Thank you both for taking the time to answer. I appreciate the info!

Jeff

Message 4 of 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Jeff, I agree with the above advice. My scores start to slide a few points here and there when I let small balances show on a few cards. The various scoring methods definitely seem to want most of those cards to have a zero balance. Let it show on just one.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.