Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarify the balance reporting process?

tag
elsenyor
Valued Member

Clarify the balance reporting process?

I carry two credit cards for now, and neither have big limits, since I am still rebuilding. Here's the breakdown:
Card 1 - 1000 CL, statement date of 4th of the month
Card 2 - 500 CL, statement date of 14th of the month

Normally both are 0 balance, but I was reading on how one should report a >9% balance for that card in order to maximize a credit score increase. This past month, I allowed CC1 to report at $89. It's fast approaching CC2's report date, and I plan on it reporting 0, with the idea that the two cards are reported at 4% UT overall. Is this right? Or is it that you should let each card report 9% on its own date?  I think what I am doing is best, but since the dates are so far apart, does that change anything?  I am trying to let 9% be my guideline, since I am trying to leave bad credit behind once and for all.

Thanks for the clarification.

Starting Score: (8/2013) 487
Current Score: (5/20/14 Pull) EQ 705 EX 702 TU 685
Goal Score: 750 across the board
What's in my wallet? NFCU 6500, NFCU 2000, Discover IT 2k, Home Depot 700, Citizens Bank 2k, Wells Fargo (Empire) 4800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Clarify the balance reporting process?

Let one cc report from 1-9% and the other report 0. 

Message 2 of 4
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@elsenyor wrote:

I carry two credit cards for now, and neither have big limits, since I am still rebuilding. Here's the breakdown:

Normally both are 0 balance, but I was reading on how one should report a >9% balance for that card in order to maximize a credit score increase. This past month, I allowed CC1 to report at $89. It's fast approaching CC2's report date, and I plan on it reporting 0, with the idea that the two cards are reported at 4% UT overall. Is this right? Or is it that you should let each card report 9% on its own date?  I think what I am doing is best, but since the dates are so far apart, does that change anything?  I am trying to let 9% be my guideline, since I am trying to leave bad credit behind once and for all.

The general rule to max out your CS is to let one card report <9% (but more than 0) and have all others report $0.

But it is important to state that there is no on-going benefit to doing this every month.

While doing this will improve your CS slightly for the month you do it, it will not help at all when the next month rolls around.  The CS is purely a snapshot of your credit at the time it is pulled.

Unless you are trying to bring your score up to a level that will give you a better interest rate on a new loan you are planning to apply for, there is really little point in going through this proceedure every month.

I do it a couple of time a year just to see what my "best"  CS could be.  Otherwise it isn't worth the effort.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 3 of 4
blondy250
Established Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

@elsenyor wrote:

The general rule to max out your CS is to let one card report <9% (but more than 0) and have all others report $0.

But it is important to state that there is no on-going benefit to doing this every month.

While doing this will improve your CS slightly for the month you do it, it will not help at all when the next month rolls around.  The CS is purely a snapshot of your credit at the time it is pulled.

Unless you are trying to bring your score up to a level that will give you a better interest rate on a new loan you are planning to apply for, there is really little point in going through this proceedure every month.

I do it a couple of time a year just to see what my "best"  CS could be.  Otherwise it isn't worth the effort.

100% correct, many people here don't realize this is just a gimmick to juice your score a few points before an major app (IE mortgage).

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.