cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Revolving Account with large balances

tag
creditpete

Closed Revolving Account with large balances

Would having a closed revolving account with a high balance (over $5k) be devastating to a credit score?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Closed Revolving Account with large balances

You may want to read this: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 22
creditpete

I did, but this is not correct:

- If a closed CC account with a balance continues to report the original credit limit, then both the balance and the CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculations.

My lender sent me a copy of my report - I have 3 closed CC accounts with balances.  Both the Balances and CLs are appearing on the report, however, the CL is not being taken into consideration in the report's "Credit Summary"

Message 3 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 22
creditpete

Yes

EQ Beacon 5

TU Classic 4

EX FICO 2

Message 5 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The CLs are no longer available so they shouldn't be included as available credit. Based on your report, is the util correct?
Message 6 of 22
creditpete

Sorry I dont quite understand what you mean by "is the utl correct"?  There are no percentages in the report, just a credit summary that I did some calculations off of.

Message 7 of 22
creditpete

I'm just trying to figure out what the CR agencies are/are not using to come up with my utilization percentage.

I just paid off all of the closed accounts with balances and I'm afraid that my scores aren't going to budge.   Applying for mortgage soon.

Message 8 of 22
john398
Senior Contributor

@creditpete wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out what the CR agencies are/are not using to come up with my utilization percentage.

I just paid off all of the closed accounts with balances and I'm afraid that my scores aren't going to budge.   Applying for mortgage soon.

you may want to ask in the mortgage section because different scoring models handle closed accounts differently, and its not the CR agencies that have the model,, its FICO

Message 9 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I would also pull your 3 individual CR's. Its possible the Tri merge is inaccurate.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.