Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account drop off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed account drop off

When does EF decide to drop off closed accounts? I just had many closed accounts suddenly drop off over the weekend. My AAoA dipped by a year and my score by 9 points. All the closed accounts that dropped off had been closed less than 10 years back, which I thought was the normal threshold for drop off. What could have caused these accounts to drop off? I did not dispute any of them.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed account drop off

@Anonymous wrote:

When does EF decide to drop off closed accounts? I just had many closed accounts suddenly drop off over the weekend. My AAoA dipped by a year and my score by 9 points. All the closed accounts that dropped off had been closed less than 10 years back, which I thought was the normal threshold for drop off. What could have caused these accounts to drop off? I did not dispute any of them.

Creditors/lenders are not obligated to keep reporting after the account is closed. They can keep reporting for up to 10 years and sometimes longer.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax is really obnoxious this way. They lost an old closed account of mine, too.

I think it's member smallfry whose EQ account report got nearly wiped out, and it's now much "younger" than his other two.

It appears to be something that Equifax does to try to avoid the problems of files splitting due to too much data.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tell me about it! I was horrified to see my history shrunk so much and relieved that it only cost 9 points. I called up a couple of creditors and verified that they did not ask the closed accounts to be removed. EF just says they did not remove it and they don't know what could have caused the accounts to drop off other than the creditor asking them to do so. At least one creditor said they could not reintroduce a closed account as EF's system would refuse to accept the update but that they would try. Another creditor couldn't even locate the account. Really obnoxious of EF to have such an ad hoc drop off policy.

Message 4 of 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The bottom line in deletion of accounts from a consumer credit report is that it will distort credit scoring, and thus impact the integrity of the credit reporting and scoring system.

One can usually find some impact on their credit score by the deletion of accounts, even if it is just AAoA.

There are only two mays that accounts are dropped from one's credit file. 

The first is that the creditor who reported the account can delete it on their own, at any time.  The CRA has no discretion for such deletions.  While a creditor really should not delete an account on their own initiative, once the account is closed and in good standing, they may want to just clear up their records, and thus delete the account. They care only about their business files, and not your credit reporting file.

The second way is that the CRA can delete accounts on their own initiative.  The basic mission of any CRA is to preserve the integrity of the credit reporting, but their real focus is to protect themselves regarding what they consider to be their iterests.  They are obligated to retain accurate records of prior derogs and delinquencies that are still within the 7-10 year period for cotinued inclusion in your CR.  After that, they dont see a need to retain information that can no longer be included in your normal CR.  Thus arises the policy by some CRAs to delete accounts from a consumer CR after 10 years from account closing.  That policy ignores both the ability of a propsective creditor to access information after those normal drop-off dates under FCRA 605(a), due to the express exemption of such deletions under the limited provisons of FCRA 605(b).  It also ignores the negative impact on consumer scores due to reduction in AAoA,and maybe also in oldest account.   They simply put there needs first.

Unfortunately, when a CRA may choose to delete old accounts from a consumer file is totally unregulated.  So they do what is convenient for them, and not what is fair to accurate credit scoring.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH & I have recently had several old accounts drop off as well - although in our case EX was the first but was followed, for the most part, by the other two CRA's.  DH's EX AAofA is several years younger than his other two, and his EX FICO score (from mortgage pulls) is a chunk lower.  (For me, EX is my oldest AAofA - go figure!)

I wish I would have understood the value of keeping accounts open earlier in my life.  I'm glad for these forums for teaching me the importance of keeping some of those old accounts open when it's realistic to do so.

On the other hand, I'm SO thankful for the few old accounts we have that are hanging on.......and am SO keeping my fingers crossed.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses.

In other mysterious news, one account that I disputed way back in September (to be marked as closed instead of open) had just gotten dropped off my report then, but suddenly reappeared *today*. To further thicken the plot, I also got a ScoreWatch alert today saying that my address changed even though the old and new address displayed are absolutely identical. My EF report seems to be on Mullholland Drive.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so it wasn't that inscrutable, but only somewhat so. The account that came back was not the one that dropped off upon a dispute a few months back, but one of the accounts that disappeared last weekend. Not sure why this was the only one that resurfaced. I was hoping others might as well, but no such luck. Eight accounts disappeared into thin air and only one came back. I'll miss the rest of 'em.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, two ten-year old closed Amexes came back today thanks to this nice Amex agent. She told me it is unlikely they would be able to reinsert a closed account but that she would try and get back. I wasn't expecting anything to happen, but she called back today and the accounts are back. My AAoA is still down from 7 to 6 because of the freak disappearances, but I am getting a new card next month and today's reinsertions will help keep my AAoA above 6 when the new card shows up.

Message 9 of 24
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

I have to say that the fact that EQ deletes early was a big plus for me. They dropped several of my charge off accounts way before the seven year mark. Because of this my score is higher with them.

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.