cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account still reporting balance almost paid off. With this hurt my score?

tag
mwmiller82
Contributor

Closed account still reporting balance almost paid off. With this hurt my score?

I've improved my credit score big time these past 11 months, but I have had an account closed due to inactivity I'm guessing. It was closed over 12 months ago, but every month I pay a little more than the minimum payment, and each month the statement updates and report the account was closed the prior month.

Anyways, the high balance on the account is $1900+ I've been paying the minimum and a little more every month for 5 years now (December 8th) the remaining balance is  $229.05.  Now I'm afraid once it's paid off it will drop my credit scores, so do anyone know if this will hurt me or help me?

Starting Score: TU527 EQ517 April 2012
Current Score: TU535 EQ540 May 2012
Current Score: TU631 EQ620 October 2012
Goal Score: 675

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: Closed account still reporting balance almost paid off. With this hurt my score?

Normally closed positive accounts will remain for 10 years, I'm guessing it will actually help you once it's paid off because your utilization will be lowered.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 2 of 12
mwmiller82
Contributor

Re: Closed account still reporting balance almost paid off. With this hurt my score?

Thanks a lot Tattoo!!!!!

Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a reported CL? Util would have been unchanged if there's no CL reporting. If there is a CL reporting, then paying it off means that it is forever removed from CC util. If your util on your remaining CCs is higher without the util from this closed CC you are paying off, then you could possibly see a drop. Closed CCs still factor into util if a balance  and CL report.

Message 4 of 12
mwmiller82
Contributor

No, I don't believe it's reporting a credit limit. Everything now says $0.00, is this a good or bad thing?

Message 5 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mwmiller82 wrote:

No, I don't believe it's reporting a credit limit. Everything now says $0.00, is this a good or bad thing?

If for sure the CL is missing or at $0, then paying it off won't have much of an impact, other than a chance for a slight bump with an added $0 balance.

Message 6 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I have a card, which is used for util by no less than all three credit agencies, even though the credit limit is not reported. Would that change if the card is closed? We assume of course that the balance hasn't been zeroed.

Message 7 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If the card is marked closed, it can still factor into util. If the card is marked closed and $0, then it's forever removed.

Message 8 of 12
mwmiller82
Contributor

UPDATE.

ok, so the account is a revolving account, on all of my billing statements thwhenever showed the CL. I had to go to my credit report to see, and what I found was 2 things, it was showing two different CL in two different sections, which is confusing me. One section is "derogatory accounts" which it showes a CL of $1950REV and under "closed accounts" it showes $1500REV. Now both accounts say "account closed due to grantors request, and the one which is under "derogatory account" seems to be the more recent reporting because it showes a 10/2012 reported date where as account"closed account" showes a "3/2010" reported date.

I was down to a total balance of $115 this month ($230 last month) so this month I got the bill and I paid my last minimum payment of $115. The due date was 12/12/2012 and now it showes the balance on the website at $0.00

I hope my new reporting helps with my original question since I I have better info now.

Message 9 of 12
mwmiller82
Contributor

Re: Closed account still reporting balance almost paid off. Will this hurt my score?

Help llecs! Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.