Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closeout a HE-LOC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closeout a HE-LOC

Before buying our retirement home in Florida we took a $223K IO He-loc on our (no mortgage) family home in NY. Other than the required $25K draw, which was paid back immediately, it was never used and the required 3 year prepayment wait is met. Our primary home in FL has a $300K mortgage (now $290K bal). We will be selling the NY house to our son probably sometime in December. It has to be sold by May for to satisfy the "2 of the last 5 years" tax rule. My husband and I are at odds about closing out the He-loc. I think we should close it now and save the $50 annual fee which is due in Oct (plus I hate the bank). He thinks we should wait until the closing to do that. He thinks our credit score which is now excellent will be affected. We might buy a 2nd home in NY next year. Any suggestions. Time is short so a prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closeout a HE-LOC

223K Line of credit $50 per year.

I say that is cheap access to a large chunk of $.

I vote KEEP IT.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Won't such a large LOC hurt my score since we are going to have to close it out when we sell anyway.
Message 3 of 5
scoreupper
Established Member

I have a large HELOC 150K (0 outstanding) and I think the real thing to think about is the amount of cash you have available and if you will beable to qualify again for the same HELOC. You have a ten year draw period that you should not have to prove your abbility to pay again...that to me is priceless.

I have only used it once and that was to float me for six months without having to use my cash on hand between jobs.

either way your score will be uneffected by the clouser unless you have a limited number of trade lines...sounds like your well establised tho. as far as the sale goes.....keep it or get rid of it same effect
TU EQ EX 687 659 689 11/5/2007
700 669 689 12/7/2007
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a large LOC - UNUSED - should actually dramatically HELP your FICO score. Having an excellent payment record on this HELOC account will also increase your score.  Closing accounts often LOWERS your FICO score.  If you were to refinance, your credit report will show the HELOC account as satisfied or paid in full without any action from you. I would suggest that you leave the account open with a zero balance, and keep  your FICO scores at their max - qualifiying you for the best possible rates on a new HELOC, home equity loan or mortgage, should you decide you need one.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.