Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Aged Accounts.. Yes It Is Ok

tag
tommy123
New Visitor

Re: Closing Aged Accounts.. Yes It Is Ok

I disagree.

On my CR, the closed account has a credit limit of $0.  So in short term, it does have a neg impact.

on long term, there is another impact, it reduces my acccount age when it's removed.
Message 11 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing Aged Accounts.. No it is not OK

Personal experience: I closed 6 credit card accounts that I had for over 10 years. My credit score dropped 35 points. It has been 1 year since this happened and it has not yet risen to the same level as before the cancellations. I charge about 10k / mo. on cards and carry no debt.

You can talk your credit card companies into waiving the annual fees.

I will never cancell a card again!
Message 12 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can hurt you if you do not have a lot of credit. I'm 22 years old so for me to close an account is a bad idea because the ratio of having credit versus not having credit. I have a better explanation for it but I'm at work and can't talk much about it!
Message 13 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

So will closing accounts with smaller balances help?  It is my understanding that cards with small available credit lines and not looked upon favorably.
Message 14 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it better to have them close the account because of inactivity or for you to close it?
Message 15 of 81
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

scorecrazybob wrote:
Is it better to have them close the account because of inactivity or for you to close it?

Makes no difference to your score.
Message 16 of 81
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Stiles wrote:
So will closing accounts with smaller balances help?  It is my understanding that cards with small available credit lines and not looked upon favorably.

You want $0 balance on closed accounts.

Message Edited by Tuscani on 07-31-2007 12:13 PM
Message 17 of 81
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

deemonee wrote:
It can hurt you if you do not have a lot of credit. I'm 22 years old so for me to close an account is a bad idea because the ratio of having credit versus not having credit. I have a better explanation for it but I'm at work and can't talk much about it!

Remember.. this thread addresses the worry of lost age and closing accounts.. util still applies no matter if the account is closed or open.
Message 18 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, tell me if I've got this right:

Say I have a five-year old card.  I close it today.  Two years from today, does it count towards my history as a seven-year old card?  It's not frozen in time today when I close it as a five-year old? 
Message 19 of 81
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:
OK, tell me if I've got this right:

Say I have a five-year old card.  I close it today.  Two years from today, does it count towards my history as a seven-year old card?  It's not frozen in time today when I close it as a five-year old? 

Yes, it counts towards your history as a seven year old card. And the 10 yr clock for its removal begins on the date you closed it, not when it was opened.
Message 20 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.