Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing New Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing New Accounts

I see that the general recommendation here is to not close accounts, one because your total credit line will drop and two because you're cutting off your credit history.

But what if the card you'd like to close is only a few months old and your total credit line is high? I have 16 active cards now and $54,700 in available credit. Closing this new card would drop that by $3600 (and give me one less card to keep track of). I have essentially no outstanding debt on these cards, so the UTL is minimal to none. In other words, I don't see the drop in total available credit as having much impact. On the other hand, my limited account history hurts me.

My goal here would be to improve my average account length, which as it stands is 3 years. My oldest accounts are 6 years old. In the last year and a half, I've only opened 1 account, which was 4 months ago. Will closing this account increase my average account length and potentially improve my score in the history component? What would you do in this situation?
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing New Accounts

in this situation closing out the account would be fine.
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It should be ok to close it in this case.

When I close new account (very new as in a couple months) for reasons where I don't like the bank or something, I ask the bank to remove the card from my CRAs. I don't even want it showing it existed. I would only do this for a very new card. I have to eat the inquiry.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-25-2007 10:37 AM
Message 3 of 38
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If it is a prime name I wouldn't close the card. Through years of use you might be able to CLI this card to a nice limit. Is it Chase or BOA CITI something like that or is it Household or one of the other sub-prime/wanna be prime names? $3600 is nothing to sneeze at.
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a Citi card. I opened it because it had a 0% introductory APR for a year, I believe.
Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if you're going for average age, consider this.

Closing it will mean it'll continue to report an additional 10 years, but with only 1 year of age.

For my sanity's sake, let's say you have three cards and the other two have been open for three years.

If you left the account open, your average age of accounts in 10 years will be 12.3 years.

If you close the account, your average age in 10 years will be 9 years.
Message 6 of 38
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Tuscani on this one.  Also, if util % is virtually unchanged, closing the account will not decrease scores since closed positive CC TLs still weight a lot in scoring just as open ones do.
Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Skiffy,

You say that the card will continue to report with 1 year of age if I close it now. Isn't this the point of closing it, so the age is no longer factored into the average age?
Message 8 of 38
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Skiffy,
You say that the card will continue to report with 1 year of age if I close it now. Isn't this the point of closing it, so the age is no longer factored into the average age?

Closed and open accounts both are figured in the equation for your average age.
Message 9 of 38
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Skiffy,
You say that the card will continue to report with 1 year of age if I close it now. Isn't this the point of closing it, so the age is no longer factored into the average age?

Closed and open accounts both are figured in the equation for your average age.

Correct. And the only area of scoring where closing an account can hurt you is in the revolving utilization calculations. While a closed revolving account with a balance is included in utilization, a closed account with a zero balance is not.

In the area of length of credit history, closed accounts are treated no differently than open accounts.  That is, the length of history on a closed acct still gets counted right along with the rest of the closed account's history.  In fact, the length of credit history gets counted for every trade line on your report, regardless.

So, the only harm by closing a revolving account is to the utilization percentage, while, in the long run, a closed account will be removed from your credit file after 10 years, which could lower your score at that time due to the loss of that history.

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-29-2007 06:05 AM
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.