Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a CC Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing a CC Account

I have just closed my Applied Bank cc. Phew. I was a nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but I did it. As you can tell, I've never closed a cc acct. before.

I've been thinking about it for several months. It was by far the most costly cc that I have. Annual fees, monthly fees, 29.99% interest rate. The only way I could have received a cli was to pay $100 for a $350 limit increase. Couldn't justify that.

In a way I'm glad to rid myself of it. On the other hand I feel remorse. It was my oldest cc in my cr history. So I know I'll take a hit as the average age of my remaining cc's drop. How much of a hit is anyone's guess. Wish I knew.

On an upnote, I closed it with $0 balance. It will report on Nov.23. It'll be interesting to see what the scores do.

I hope I did the right thing. Ugghhh. This is awful. Smiley Happy Onward and upward
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing a CC Account

As long as your util% does not go up you're fine. Just remember closed accounts in good standing with $0 balances are treated the same as open accounts with regard to credit history length and
average-age of accounts. For more info read the link in my sig.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did fused. I must have read it 4 times since I started thinking about deciding.

It was the deciding factor which helped me to decide about thinking to decide about closing the account.

But I'm going to read it again for good measures.

Thank you. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I don't agree with the majority when it comes to closing CCs. There are more reasons to close cards than it's costing you money. Folks who have too many cards and have a lot of trouble managing them is another reason. I will say if had the same card you closed, I would have done the same...that's highway robbery!
Message 4 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@fused wrote:
I don't agree with the majority when it comes to closing CCs. There are more reasons to close cards than it's costing you money. Folks who have too many cards and have a lot of trouble managing them is another reason. I will say if had the same card you closed, I would have done the same...that's highway robbery!

I agree. No problem closing accounts at all.
Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sylvia, by the time that turkey falls off in ten years, it probably won't even make a ripple in your average credit length, because you have enough new accounts to absorb it. Good job --like ragcajun says, kick that one to the curb! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouraging words you all. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.