Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing an account

Hi there.  I know that closing a cc account will affect your credit score.  What if you close an account and get a new card because of fraud or identity theft?  I didn't really have that happen but my computer got a virus and I got nervous so I cancelled two of my cards and told them the reason.  So the cards were closed due to possible identity theft or fraud and then reissued.  Will that affect my score?

Thanks!

Michele
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing an account

Lost/stolen cards are a little different-

Most companies will mark the old acount "Lost/Stolen" and then place new accounts with the same open date and history for you new card.

Some companies just deativate the old card and send new ones.

this shouldn't affect you credit too much -unless the duplicate accounts mess with your average age.  

eighteeschick wrote:
Hi there.  I know that closing a cc account will affect your credit score.  What if you close an account and get a new card because of fraud or identity theft?  I didn't really have that happen but my computer got a virus and I got nervous so I cancelled two of my cards and told them the reason.  So the cards were closed due to possible identity theft or fraud and then reissued.  Will that affect my score?

Thanks!

Michele

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing an account

Thanks!  Both cards show the original year I opened the accounts so I am assuming it won't affect the age as far as scoring is concerned.  Thanks again for your quick reply.

Michele
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.