cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an old credit card Need advice!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing an old credit card Need advice!!!

I hope I didn't do something stupid!! I just finally got my credit to 752 ( was in the low 600) I had an old American Eagle card with a $125 limit that I just closed yesterday I am really worried that it will effect my credit score.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing an old credit card Need advice!!!

@Anonymous wrote:
I hope I didn't do something stupid!! I just finally got my credit to 752 ( was in the low 600) I had an old American Eagle card with a $125 limit that I just closed yesterday I am really worried that it will effect my credit score.

Welcome to the forums!

TL;DR Nah, well unlikely in the extreme if you have other credit cards.

Closing a credit card has three potential negatives (assuming it was $0 before closing):

1) Reducing your aggregate limit, unlikely if you have other cards or aren't carrying much balances anyway, especially when we're talking a $125 CL in your instance.

2) Reducing the number of cards used in calculating number of cards with balance ratio: short term issue anyway (as you can always tweak reporting next month).

3) If you fall below the minimum number of open revolving tradelines (usually credit cards) for mix of credit function: which seems to be 2, or possibly 3 for maxxing the scorecard.

Beyond that it would have no impact on your credit for the next 10 years (how long the account will stay on your report, closed accounts still help Average Age of Accounts - AAOA), and for any credit user, in 10 years it's likely irrelevant anyway.

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Yes I have a capitalone Quicksilver $1000 capitalone platium $750 discover it $15000 Walmart $1000 Peebles $600. A couple months ago my TU score was 601 after disputing a couple medical bills in collections that weren't mine and doing a PFD on another collection my score went up to 752! I am still learning but getting there! Another problem I had was I didn't realize that you should keep your balance below 30% and even though I always paid more than the minimum payment I was still keeping my cards at 80%! So now I do have them all at 30% or lower
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

And yes the American Eagle card that I closed did have a zero balance. All my other card lendershave giving me a cli even if it's just $200 but I have had this card since 2007 and nothing I tried making small purchases on it for maybe $20 just to keep it going but they still wouldn't grant me a cli
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.