cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing in on 800

tag
sonicblue

Closing in on 800

Supposedly it doesn't actually qualify you for anything more than whatever the highest bracket is (760?) but I'm psyched anyways.  We paid off a large amount of debt with my spring bonus, but then we added a bit back on for a new refrigerator.  We can easily support the debt amount, so I don't worry about it, but we're trying to 'clean up' our finances, in general.  In doing that, we're going to consolidate the remaining debt and put it on one card, via a 3.99%-for-life transfer check.  It so happens that account is just in my wife's name, so doing so will eliminate all revolving debt from my report.  I will still have two mortgages and two car loans, and plenty of history and mix, so I'm anticipating this move will put me over the top.  My EQ FICO is currently 791.

This may adversely affect my wife slightly, as the one account will be at 89% utilization.  Her overall utilization will be at 27% (revolving only), so I don't think it will be that bad.  What's hurting her is one late on her report that we unsuccessfully tried to get removed.  It was a true late, but was her only one in a long history with the account, so we tried for a good faith removal, but were summarily and curtly dismissed.  She's still at an EQ FICO of 749, even after that spring debt payoff, and our history and mix is almost identical, so it's clearly the late holding her back.  We'll pay off this consolidated debt within the next year, and hopefully the late continues to get less weight and she'll start the trek toward 800 as well.

I'm nervous to pull our other bureau scores b/c I seem to notice the TU and EX seem to be much lower than EQ, but I probably should.  Is it common for lenders to use one exclusively and not look at the others?  We are exploring one, possibly two, car purchases in the coming months, and I fear I may run into someone who doesn't look at EQ but not sure if it's worth forking over $60-odd to get the other two reports for each of us.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sonicblue

Re: Closing in on 800

Just pulled all three:
EQ 791, EX 764, TU 770

My wife is:
EQ 749, EX 708, TU 737

She has two big student loans that just are what they are.  The simulator says we can get her into the high 700's by paying off all the revolving debt, and then if the late falls off the radar, maybe she can hit the 800 mark.
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

sonicblue wrote @ 07:43 AM:

.... but not sure if it's worth forking over $60-odd to get the other two reports for each of us....

tick tock, tick tock ...

sonicblue wrote @ 08:11 AM :

Just pulled all three:
EQ 791, EX 764, TU 770

My wife is:
EQ 749, EX 708, TU 737

Smiley Very Happy

Yep, most of us find that curiosity beats fiscal self-control every time!

Congrats on the scores. The others will float on up with EQ soon enough.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

Are there any score buckets after 760?

They reason I ask is that if you have score 760 or higher and need a new loan (auto, credit) what score should you shoot for so that the score drop you receive on the new loan keeps your score above 760?

I would assume that a new loan would drop a 760+ score 20 - 30 points.  Is that accurate?
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marty-
There are currently 2 negative and 8 positive buckets-

If you question was "how many buckets have scores over 760?"
There is an answer- we just don't know it.

marty56 wrote:
Are there any score buckets after 760?

They reason I ask is that if you have score 760 or higher and need a new loan (auto, credit) what score should you shoot for so that the score drop you receive on the new loan keeps your score above 760?

I would assume that a new loan would drop a 760+ score 20 - 30 points.  Is that accurate?

Message 5 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

I am going for a car loan netween now and the end of the year and would like to keep my TU and EX over 760 when I get the new loan.  my only reporting CC will be < 10% util by then so I should get some more points.  I hope that if those scores are in the 780's that would be enough to survive a new auto loan, assuming I dont wind up in another score bucket,
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.