Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing oldest credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing oldest credit card

Hi,

I apologize in advance as I'm sure this has been asked to death. I've googled and I've read a dozen posts on this forum, and most of them say the same thing.. but it doesn't really answer my question in a way I can wrap my head around.

My first card was a Capital One secured card, my credit score was a big fat 0 at the time due to never having had credit. It is around 18 months old now. After 6 months I got my first FICO score (around 650ish) and have since then opened other cards and built my FICO score up to 725 average between the 3 main bureaus. I have a $700 credit limit on that original secured card with $249 of my money on it as a deposit. I have around $17,000 total credit limit with low total usage, so the $700 is pretty insignificant overall. I no longer want to pay the annual fee or let them keep making interest off my $249 for zero rewards and a terrible APR. From my understanding if I raise enough fuss they may waive the annual fee for me, but Capital One never unsecures the cards or converts them to a rewards card. I barely use it, so I'm ok with cancelling it completely.

From what I've read the Capital One account history will show for 10 years on my credit report. Does this mean I still have an 18 month old account that will continue to age? Or will my oldest account length get wiped out and my history become 6 months newer? In 6 months more when it would be 2 years old, will I still get the perks of graduating finally into that 2+ years age group for my score, or will I have to wait another 6 months on top of that since my next oldest card is only a year old now? Basically what I'm asking - is there any real detriment here if I don't need to worry about my total credit available and utilization? Yes I did read the sticky post FAQ, but I'm afraid I don't understand half the abbreviations in there, or the way it was stated.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing oldest credit card

Since it is a secured card, go ahead and close it. You have a couple of things going for you now. You have more credit cards. (I'm hoping at least 3 more cards.) Your next oldest card is at least 1 year old.

You will be fine. You might take a very minor hit but will recover in short order.

And yes, the closed account will stay on your reports for 10 years which is a good thing!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I apologize in advance as I'm sure this has been asked to death. I've googled and I've read a dozen posts on this forum, and most of them say the same thing.. but it doesn't really answer my question in a way I can wrap my head around.

My first card was a Capital One secured card, my credit score was a big fat 0 at the time due to never having had credit. It is around 18 months old now. After 6 months I got my first FICO score (around 650ish) and have since then opened other cards and built my FICO score up to 725 average between the 3 main bureaus. I have a $700 credit limit on that original secured card with $249 of my money on it as a deposit. I have around $17,000 total credit limit with low total usage, so the $700 is pretty insignificant overall. I no longer want to pay the annual fee or let them keep making interest off my $249 for zero rewards and a terrible APR. From my understanding if I raise enough fuss they may waive the annual fee for me, but Capital One never unsecures the cards or converts them to a rewards card. I barely use it, so I'm ok with cancelling it completely.

From what I've read the Capital One account history will show for 10 years on my credit report. Does this mean I still have an 18 month old account that will continue to age?

Yes

Or will my oldest account length get wiped out and my history become 6 months newer?

No

In 6 months more when it would be 2 years old, will I still get the perks of graduating finally into that 2+ years age group for my score, or will I have to wait another 6 months on top of that since my next oldest card is only a year old now? Basically what I'm asking - is there any real detriment here

No

if I don't need to worry about my total credit available and utilization? Yes I did read the sticky post FAQ, but I'm afraid I don't understand half the abbreviations in there, or the way it was stated.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both Smiley Happy Closing the account now!

Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you both Smiley Happy Closing the account now!

Good Smiley Happy

Onward & upward Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update.... closing an account DOES nuke your age/length of credit history. My fico and vantage scores have dropped despite balances going down and credit limits going up. My oldest account age is now the 2nd card I opened, not the older secured one I closed. My average age of accounts went down as well. 

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an update.... closing an account DOES nuke your age/length of credit history. My fico and vantage scores have dropped despite balances going down and credit limits going up. My oldest account age is now the 2nd card I opened, not the older secured one I closed. My average age of accounts went down as well. 

According to what?

I don't mean to be argumentative but we have a slew of anecdotal data that suggest otherwise.  Also there was a large amount of evidence that any AAOA under 2 years counts as one year: as a result if your oldest account was 18 months you haven't hit that breakpoint.  I at least didn't see a change when I went across AAOA of 1 year, I did at AAOA of 2 years, and didn't at AAOA of 3 years from my own data and going across, app spreeing below, and then recrossing and seeing the score changes on an otherwise rigidly controlled file.

For the rest, unfortunately most changes aren't isolated and it's at times challenging to be able to point to something explicity and say yup this is what happened.  An oldest account from 18 months to 12 months if I read your initial post right making a substantial change is a bit ludicrous TBH.  

What's more likely at least in FICO world is the closure of the card may have skewed your number of revolving tradelines without a balance calculation would be my first inclination.  How many points did you lose on your FICO's and which explicit scores?  Vantage we just don't know as well.

        
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No need to read any further than Vantage scores.  Vantage scores go off of age of open accounts and will drop when your oldest account is closed.  This does not happen under FICO scoring, which is used in 90% of lending decisions, so 90% of the time Vantage scores are meaningless IMO.

Message 8 of 11
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I understand the concern you have in seeing your Vantage score crash because of the drop in active AAoAs. 

If you subscribe to any form of myFICO monitoring you would receive an alert that your score dropped. My guess is that you did not because as others have stated, myFICO includes closed accounts in the average. You could pull a 3B report from here (assuming all bureaus are reporting the accounts closed) and see what the true FICO scores are currently.

I understand the concern with closing accounts and credit score. Over the last 8-10 months I have done a major portfolio expansion and am currently planning how to contract (basically who to consolidate, cut and keep).

When you get your next true FICO score (here or from Credit Check total) please let us know what the scores are related to the closings.

Good luck and thanks 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get my experian, transunion, and equifax FICO score from open credit cards - they all 3 went down. I only included vantage in my post because it also went down just as the actual fico scores did. My credit report itself from 2 of the bureaus shows the average age of accounts is 6 months lower and the oldest account is 6 months newer. They both still SHOW the capital one account I closed, but they show it as closed and they're not counting it for age.

Lest you think the scores went down because of my spending or the overall credit limit drop, that is not the case also. One card raised my limit from $2600 to $4700 and another card raised from $1900 to $2700 the same time, and my overall balances went down a bit. I only lost a $700 limit from the closed account. My fico scores dropped about 20-25 points. 

It's not a big deal, in 6 months this will have fixed itself and i'm still saving money on the yearly fee plus I got my deposit back already. I didn't come back here to complain or say you're all wrong or to argue anything.. i just wanted any future person to be aware that if the length of the account being open is critical for them, they may want to wait on closing it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.