Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signer, piggyback changes in FICO socores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-signer, piggyback changes in FICO socores

Hello,

Does anyone know what the date is to no loner consider co-signers or authorized signers for FICO scores?

Thanks in advance for your adive and input.

Michael
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Co-signer, piggyback changes in FICO socores

supposedly one cra has or will be doing it shortly, the other two are fighting it. just rumor though.

seriously don't waste you money on this. save it for pfd's and postage.
Message 2 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

AlKoholic001 wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know what the date is to no loner consider co-signers or authorized signers for FICO scores?

Thanks in advance for your adive and input.

Michael

Co-signers are joint and have and will continue to factor in scoring. As for AU accounts, they are still factoring in scoring and will continue to do so for a while. No confirmation on when FICO 2008 will launch...stay tuned.
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

You have a few more months before having to worry.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And it's almost December.

2008 is approaching.

-bites fingernails-
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I make someone a joint user on my account and they have terrible credit, can the vendor lower my existing credit limit?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

they is a way you can join them to your account and they are not a authorized user but they get all the benefits of your great account history "its called piggybacking" i think they still slow it. someone did it for me and it helped my score and didnt effect theirs but i didnt use the card (i dont think....) but you can talk to your credit card company about that. does anyone know if you can still piggyback credit cards anymore?? i just got married 2 weeks ago....my husband has amazing credit hovering in the high  700's to low 800's, i dont want to ruin his but can his help mine....which is in the low 600's??? HELP!!!
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, bella, welcome to the forums!

Piggybacking does mean adding on as an AU (authorized user), and then presumably dropping back off when no longer needed.

Those who buy and sell strangers' credit in this manner have caused a change in scoring where eventually AU accounts will not help scores. But there are still plenty of family members who do this. I'm an AU on one of my husband's cards.

There is a difference between AU and joint. AU simply means that you can use the card, with limited or no responsibility for paying the bills. Joint means that two people are co-owners of the account, equally responsible for the balance, whether they knew what the other person was doing or not. A joint owner cannot remove himself/herself from the account --they're stuck for good.

If you wanted to go on one or two of your husband's cards as an AU, that could help your scores for the time being. The best account is one that has been open for a long time, has never, ever had a late payment, and has a $0 balance reporting, or a very low balance. I personally feel that if someone is going AU on a spouse's card for this reason, the card shouldn't be used. My AU card is in a dresser drawer, and I don't consider it mine. So this is something that you should think through with your husband.

And by the way, it would be wise not to use the term "piggybacking" on the forums, as most people associate it with the unethical use of stranger's credit for a price. Smiley Happy This particular thread is a very old one.

It would help you to read Credit Scoring 101, or at least the first post. (It's an incredibly long thread these days!) You'll find it stickied up at the top of this board and on several others as well. There's a lot more to fixing up your credit than trying to get some help from an AU account, and Credit Scoring 101 will help you start. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I personally feel that if someone is going AU on a spouse's card for this reason, the card shouldn't be used. My AU card is in a dresser drawer, and I don't consider it mine. So this is something that you should think through with your husband.

Great advice.  I would also be prepaired for a possible score hit to your score when FICO08 kicks in.  In this manor I would watch my util and account dates.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.