cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Account - why does my score keep going up??

tag
tcp78

Collection Account - why does my score keep going up??

So I have a collection on my account.  It's over $1500 and apparently they are adding interest.  I just received an alert that my fico score changed.  Upon checking the reason why it's because that collection account increased my balance by $7.00   My score went up 12 points.   I'm not complaining...but my concern is I was going to pay off my old collection bills so I can qualify for a mortgage.  This is the 2nd time this has happened with this particular account.  My score went up several points in August when they raised the balance by a few dollars.   This particular collection is not set to come off my credit report until late 2013/early 2014. 

Is this normal?  What should I do? 

I guess I'm confused by the reasons fico score's go up and down.  I thought it was the opposite.  A balance increase makes it go down?  But I guess that's wrong cause last month I paid a measley $350 I owed to captial one that was in collections and when they updated the balance to ZERO it made my score DROP 20 points.

Can anyone shed some light on my state of confusion?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection Account - why does my score keep going up??

A collection is a collection, a zero balance or a 10000 dollar balance.  So you got dinged when the collection hit, and even though the balance is going up it isn't being factored.  Make sense?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Account - why does my score keep going up??

OP, where did the score come from?

Is this collection a collection agency or a charge-off?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.