cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection acct deleted, Fico still dropped?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection acct deleted, Fico still dropped?

@Anonymous wrote:

in the past 2 weeks, i have paid off two collection accounts on my credit report. With both collections, the same day the OC reported it as being paid off or paid in full, my fico score lowered!

What kind of collection accounts were they? In know they were OC accounts, but were they CCs? Loans?

Are these 2 collection accounts the ones referenced leading to the 47 pt drop?

Message 11 of 33
twosense
Established Member

I agree with your post completely.  I am debating about paying off the last four collection items on my report from a tough period in my life.  In order to get credit through my credit union, I have to "no collections" and a "620" score.  My current score is hovering at 599.  I'm concerned that paying them off might make my score drop even more.  Nevertheless, I'm going to do it and see what happens.

Also, I wish that my secured credit card would report to all three bureaus.

Also, I think it is funny that, according to one credit bureau, I'm a rock star - but with another, I'm a total loser.

Best of luck to you.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a tough call, again, no one knows exactly how fico works. If anyone gives you a definitive answere on "yes your score will go up if you pay off old collections or no it will not go up but decrease". They are fooling themselves. Truth is, no one knows. All i can tell you is what ive seen happen to mine and what ive read other bloggers say. For me, i paid off two collections. One was a charge off that is only 6 months old in being on my Equifax, it was for a Duke Energy utility bill. It should have never even went to collections. 1st, when i moved from old residence i notified Duke Energy of my forwarding address to send final bill to. 2nd, i put in a exact date to disconnect services. later, come to find out, they kept the service on for another month allowing new tenants to run off my electrical services and lastly, they never sent me a final bill, as well, the collection agency never sent me a notice it was in collection. From the time i moved, till the time it shown as a charge off on credit report was every bit of 1.5 months. Duke Energy is the worst, they do not play. you dont pay them asap, STRAIGHT to collections as a charge off , and neither fill they owe you a warning prior. Never the less, i paid it off as well as an old utility for gas services from 6 years ago. When both were paid, Equifax shows it now as "paid in full" yet, my Fico Score dropped bad. Many have speculated  that there were other reason why my score dropped but i beg to differ. With Equifax, it notifies me of each and every change to credit file, and during that drop, that was the only one!

Message 13 of 33
twosense
Established Member

Interesting.  I guess I'll wait and see what happens.  Thanks!

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do keep us posted...My Biggest complaint with Fico scoring system, ( as you may have read ) was the fact a new collection was added to my credit file on Equifax in error, from the day it was listed, my Fico dropped 40 pts, a week later when it was removed in error and TWO collections paid off the same time, my Fico rose 4 pts. Now tell me Fico is'nt screwed up? lol

Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOOO HOOO I hear you on this one!  I bought a house 2 years ago, refi'd only 3 months later for 2% pts less.  Now almost 2 years later I have the rates staring me in the face of another point less and needing to "cash out" some equity to pay for a ton of work on the house. 

However, in June a collection hit me out of the blue and knocked my score down 57 points!  Now my scores aren't high enough to do the refi!

You're right, do right and you get meager returns for your effort, but ooooooooh boy, mess up somewhere along the way and a wallop. 

If this CA had taken about 5 minutes to research the report or something, they would have seen I've moved 2 times in the past year and divorced.  Therefore mail getting to me has been slow to say the least.  But they didn't.

I have one CC through my CU that out of a meager $3000 limit only $276 is on it and then I have an overdraft account that has a zero balance.  This is the only "revolving" accounts I have.  My CU only reports to EQ.  And for some reason EQ classifies them as "installment".  I call the CU they are looking into it.  HOWEVER, if the uitlization goes up, I've seen that it DOES affect my score.  SO FICO or EQ or someone is factoring it in.

I'm told I need more revolving "trade lines", the hell of it is, I've tried outside of my CU and no one will give me a credit card.  BOA wants to do a "secured" card.  Really?  I've got a mortgage through them and they will only consider a $300 secured card?  Whatever! 

So I pay all my stuff down needing to get my scores back up for the refi.  My mortgage guy does a "TRI MERGE" credit report today.  Well that collection has beat my score down 57 pts. while the two collections I just paid only gave me a 7 point boost!  How is that in anyway "fair"? 

I called the OC on one, only $57 for an unpaid water bill, the lady says pay me, I'll call the collection agency and have them copy you on the email that I want it deleted from your report, and low and behold they took it off.  However, the other CA REFUSES to remove it even though I paid it. 

I'm like that other person who said after 12 months, it should go away.  That's reasonable.

So here I set, needing my "middle score at 620 to get this refi done.  My scores last month before this most recent collection it was, EQ 643 EXP 639 TU 730 and what are they now?  EQ 618 EXP 599 TU 617.  

So I'm thinking you got to be kidding me.  I'm needing that "mid score" to be 620.  DOesn't matter how high the top one is, I just need the mid score to be 620.  SO I'm worried if I go ahead and pay this collection that killed me a month ago will kill me again! 

So what is the incentive to pay the old debts?  I'm like you, I think I'll look forward.  EVERYTHING I pay, car, house CC, my overdraft if I ever do use it, all get paid dead on time.  But I don't get jack for that really!  Not in relations to how badly a collection hurts you.

And this joke of adding a "Personal Statement" on the reporting sites.  You can't post more than like 100 characters?  What can someone really say in that short space?

There should be some standard rates for things.  Plain and simple.  I get the whole thing about trying to predict someones risk in terms of repaying.  But good grief, hitting someone for 7 years for not paying a $28 or my largest $166 medical bill?  But pay it and it hurt you?  Really? 

So I sent out 4 PFD letters.  Two responded and are all for agreeing and did so as I offered.  One a local company flatly said no and the other didn't respond even though I know they received the letter due to the fact I sent them certified. 

So I say all that to say this.  I feel your pain, I totally agree that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.  That the "reward" for doing right is ridiculous in comparison for a stumble.

The strangle the scoring has on a person is not equal to the strength it can give you.  ......

So what to do?  Pay or not?  I'm leaning your way.  Don't pay.

Good luck to you and then some.  I say we do a class action suit or something!  Lobby congress.  Something! 

It's a game and then some.  A game that they really make all the rules and tell you only a few.

Message 16 of 33
dznen1
Regular Contributor

Wow, wow, wow!!!! I so feel what all of you are saying.  If there is a class action suit, there should be enough of us who are fed up on this forum alone to cause something positive to happen.   All of the above has happened to me as well.  I too am at the point of waiting out this stuff. Fico scoring should not be this complicated.  If it's about the consumer, that consumer should be able to know exactly what is happening without an interpretor.  The credit monitoring system don't even give an acceptable explanation, so why pay for it?  It should make sense to anyone reading it.  As far as the CRA's adding a comment/explanation for disputes,  from what I read, they don't have to even talk to the OC or the CRA, they use EOSKAR, a form where they check off what the CRA's agent think will fit the dispute.  I was the victim of of I.D theft about 5 years ago, I have fraud alert with all three credit agencies, they will not remove the collections, even though I have sent copies of the police reports and the bank affidavit. I was told by an agent at one of the credit agencies that they take the CA's word instead of mine that the debts are mine, even though I supplied everything they requested.  FRUSTRATING!!!!!  What kind of mess is that?????  An inquiry stays on for two years, why?  If an account is opened, would it not be reported on the cr?  If it was denied, then at the most, why should it stay on more than 3-6 months?    

Maybe, if all of us on this forum combined with those on other forums with the same frustrations over this scoring system, would band together, it can change what is happening for the better for all of us.  I am in if that happens.  Otherwise, I am taking the other posters route as well, just wait it out.  

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

yet another prime example how Fico scoring system is screwed up...today, i get , from equifax, an allert, letting me know a score change has taken place. i logged in, and see that my fico score has dropped "only 4 points" but the point is this: the reason a change took place is because it happend on the same day other changes to my report took place, what were they you may ask? well, my Macy's department store charge card balance has decreased by 50% from $204 down to $125 which is good, my debt to ration has dropped which is good, also, another change? my first premeir card payment posted as "paid as agreed" on time. wow, amazing how Fico will screw you on doing the right thing. i SWEAR TO GOD the government needs to investigate that company for all its worth, -NOTHING-I give up. past year i have done SO MUCH repairing of my credit just to be screwed, in the past year i have had MANY items removed, i paid off several collections, paid all new accounts on time and my points have dropped over two years by a total of some 65 points. what MY LESSON has taught me about credit, if your credit is F***ked, leave it ALONE do not try to pay for the damage, do not try and repair nothing, just go forward doing the right things on "new" accounts. screw the old sh*t, it WILL   O N LY   BITE   YOU    IN   THE    ASS DOWN THE ROAD for doing the right thing.

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

BRB I hear you on this again. 

Last week I finally bit the bullet and paid all collections off.  It's been like pulling teeth to get confimation through to people.  Been on the phne with the local hospital 4 a total of about 4 hours.  Nice gals, took three payments but said it could take as much as 2 weeks for the payments to post to the CA then they have 45 days to  post as "paid". 

Now there are 2 more collections of $28 each, being reported directly by the hospital, NO ONE can find info on them.  I've spent 2 hours on the phone over just these two collections.  They say they can't verify anything with regard to the charges for me, or my kids.  However THEY are the ones listed as posting the collections on my EQ report.  At what da*n point woud they just say "remove" it? Look at the money spent on this!  Good grief.

Now the one that knocked my score down last month and put me out of the running for the refi?  Well they, Stern and Associates of Greensboro NC were the rudest people I have ever dealt with.  I did't pay them, paid the OC which is the same hospital with the $28 charges.  When they update I get an email from myFICO saying that a "NEW COLLECTION HAS BEEN ADDED TO MY ACCOUNT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What?  instead of it saying that the collection had been updated to paid, it listed as a "NEW COLLECTON".  IN contrast, a collection I paid last month came in an alert just like this one but simply said "A COLLECTION ON YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN UPDATED".  This is how is should be.  But no, it says this one has been added!  I didn't need another, let alone the same freakin' one ADDED!!!! JEEEEEEZ

So I've paid close to $1000 in old collections,some of which where coming off within the next year, but I went and paid them from the "moral" standpoint.  What did it get me?  Nothing!  I talked at length with RJM Acquisitions who graciously agreed to delete the collection then followed up with a letter stating that per our agreement that they would request a deletion from my reports.  Now THAT"S how it should be.

I don't buy this argument that a collection should remain for 7 years.  That's BS.,  Once someone has been paid, then it's a FALSE ENTRY, I don't owe them anything therefore it should be removed.

Based on what I read from WHYCHAT"S info, if you pay the OC then the CA can't report something that you don't owe.  At that point, the OC and CA are violationg the HIPAA laws in particularly with regard to medical collections.  I DONT' OWE THE CA AT THAT POINT.  THEREFORE THEY SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO REPORT.  So I am starting the HIPAA process outlinve by WHYCHAT in order to "scare" these places into removal.

Per the manager at RJM, "What is in it for us to continue to report a collection?"  "We received our payment, what are we gaining by continuing to report?"  "The debt has been paid."  It's only right to remove it, regardless of what the law SAYS we can do, we should remove it."  It is only serving to punish the debtor further when at that point they are no longer a debtor." "Debt is paid." "Other CA's should adopt this attitude and if they did, they would see their revenue's rise." 

So hopefully when RJM's entry goes away, my score will see a jump.

Now back to these two meager $28 collections as the hospital.  You got to be kidding me that I have to write a letter to them in order to start a "process".  I've already spent 4 hours on the phone with them.  Look at how much they have spent in wages for the staff to investigate this!!! 

I'm with you BRB.  WIsh I hadn't paid the things.  Hasn't done one thing for my score.  I don't care so much about what a lender can read or see, I can easily explain, thoughtfully and maturely as to why something might be on my report.  I can't however explain to them why my score takes a 57 point hit over an unpaid medical, then doesn't get a boost after I pay it only 6 weeks later. 

Fact is, the score matters if you want to get a loan.  You can explain things away all day long, but at the end of the day, the score is the primary factor in determining whether or not you get the loan.

So if you're not going to be given at least a FRACTION of what was lost back, then why pay it?  it's clear that ignoring it, it goes away after a very long unfair time, just focus ahead as you said.  My baddies are far outweighed by my goodies.  That should mean far more.

In this electronic and digital age, it's ridiculous that once something is paid that it isn't reflected on your credit reports with in 24 hours, MAX.  It should be law that once it is paid, the OC or CA MUST notify bureaus within 24 hours. 

it takes only moments for them to adversely affect your credit for 7 years, but an untold amount of effort to correct something.  it's an unfair, unethical practice to say the least.

Oh here's one more then I'll go.  I get an "ALERT" from myFICO.  My score went down, but below it in the paragragh that come there with the alert it says, "This increase in your score came on a day when..."  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  THE ALERT WAS TO TELL ME THAT MY SCORE DROPPED!!!! BUT BELOW YOU SAY "THIS INCREASE??????????????????????  They don't even know what their own system is doing.    I can an aler to tell me my score dropped and the explanation starts with, "this increase"? 

It's a joke.  And it' on the consumer.  The consumer just as well be the whipping post and the bureaus and lenders the whips. 

It's simple, the punishment does fit the crime.  When I pay something, then I don't owe.  Therefore it shouldn't be reported.  Fine, report it till I pay it.  But then once I met my obligation, REMOVE it.  That's only fair.  If not then what is the real advantage of paying?  throw out the moral bit about you should pay your bills.  I got that.  We all mis step. 

I HAVE PAID AND PAID.  WITH NOTHING IN RETURN.  I'VE SEEN CRIMINALS HAVE BETTER LUCK.

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, you are preaching to the choir lol ive been down our road so many times. Whats amazing is reading all the true blogs on site that are legit like ftc.gov, laws and legalities of disputing innacuracies etc. dont be fooled! the laws SOUND good in writing, but pushing the laws in your favor, the collection agencies laugh and balk at you when you quote the laws.. there are many laws stating something to the effect that when you dispute a collection, the collection agency must investigate the account and its accuracy in 30 days..NOT you know how many disputes i have filed, sent certified mail, and its been 3 months and still no verification, yet, they continue to report it. i contact equifax, submit to them the information i have supplied, copies of letters, copies of certified mail receipts with signatures. Equifax wants to inform me they have verified the account is mine..ok, WHO WILL VERIFY IT WITH ME???? no one. lets face it, the laws are NOT on our side as consumers.

The writings of laws are meant to make you feel better but give you leverage, it doesnt. My roomate has a capital one charge off on his equifax, we sent them a letter stating we wanted to pay it off for a settlement offer. they sent us a letter back stating they couldnt find his account. shouldnt they remove it if they cannot find it? YES. yet again, equifax STILL reports it as being "verified"..what you going to do? write your congressmen! lol yea right.

im sick of paying, doing the right thing and watching my score plummit..

As well, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTNANCES do the whychat for hipaa removal. YES i tried it a few times, followed the instructions verbatim only to be laughed at and told directly "do not believe anything you read on the web" they CAN AND WILL continue to report medical bills up to 7 years paid or not!

Another thing that bothers me is the Cease/desist laws...if you send a collection agency in writing demand to cease and desist calling your phone, it is a violation if they continue! ive done that 4 times and sent certified mail and have pictures of caller id where they STILL call me today, ive written the state attorney general, ftc.gov etc. NO HELP.. after two years of doing EVERYTHING right and being punished for doing the right thing and paying responsibly and still getting punished, screw them...ill just keep doing good on the new accounts. most of my negs should fall off in the next year or two..

I have a medical bill that was sent to me from a collection agency 2 months ago. Immediatley i sent a demand for validation and disputed the debt. I sent certified mail. I forgot about the letter until today i recieved a call from the collection agency. After reviewing my records, i found the letter i sent them of a dispute and demand to cease and desist contacting me via phone, rather, send all information by mail. they recieved the letter and 1. it has been longer then 30 days and no information sent to me in regards to my dispute. 2. they are not supose to continue to try and collect on the debt as long as its being investigated and disputed.. so that is two violations, BUT AGAIN, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO????

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.