Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection removal; no score change

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection removal; no score change

Of course no one can fully explain the mystical wonders of FICO scoring, but this is an intelligent group so I'm seeking your insight. Last month a $23 collection appeared on my reports  with a DOFD of around 10/2009. (Assuming this date due to EX showing this was due for deletion 10/2016 on a physical report I rec'd after a dispute. Online I can only see the opening date of 6/1/2015 thus showing me 4 months since last late.) I check my score every few days on CCT and yeterday noticed this collection account had been removed from my report. My score, however, has remained at 753 with no change. Wouldn't one think the removal of a collection would create a change in score?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection removal; no score change

I can only offer my insight and what I have witnessed, but within a 2 month period, I had a collection removed, a judgment removed, and a charge off removed, and netted a -2 point loss lol. I got 0 points for the collection and lost 2 when the judgment and C/O came off at the same time. Mind you, this was on my VantageScore, but I was surprised to see so many negative items come off that led to me being in worse shape than before. I guess I may have changed score cards or been "rebucketed" as it is commonly known by.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I lost points I would have chalked it up to rebucketing, but no change has me scratching my head.
Message 3 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can only offer my insight and what I have witnessed, but within a 2 month period, I had a collection removed, a judgment removed, and a charge off removed, and netted a -2 point loss lol. I got 0 points for the collection and lost 2 when the judgment and C/O came off at the same time. Mind you, this was on my VantageScore, but I was surprised to see so many negative items come off that led to me being in worse shape than before. I guess I may have changed score cards or been "rebucketed" as it is commonly known by.

FYI - From VantageScore infographic 05.

The recovery time horizons are of interest. The Y axis: impact to credit score "%" is best viewed as a % drop relative to a maximum potential score drop associated with that specific scorecard. So if max drop on a clean scorecard with an 800 score is 200 points, then a bankruptcy would reduce score by 90% of that - or 180 points. Drop as a % of actual credit score makes no sense.

VantageScore graphic.gif

VS reference.gif

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI - From VantageScore infographic 05

VantageScore graphic.gif

Not sure where you found that, but its pretty awesome. Helps explains things on my end. Thanks!!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course no one can fully explain the mystical wonders of FICO scoring, but this is an intelligent group so I'm seeking your insight. Last month a $23 collection appeared on my reports  with a DOFD of around 10/2009. (Assuming this date due to EX showing this was due for deletion 10/2016 on a physical report I rec'd after a dispute. Online I can only see the opening date of 6/1/2015 thus showing me 4 months since last late.) I check my score every few days on CCT and yeterday noticed this collection account had been removed from my report. My score, however, has remained at 753 with no change. Wouldn't one think the removal of a collection would create a change in score?

From this page http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/fico-score-8.aspx

You will find this information

Small-balance collections accounts

FICO® Score 8 ignores small-dollar "nuisance" collection accounts in which the original balance was less than $100.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO® Score 8 ignores small-dollar "nuisance" collection accounts in which the original balance was less than $100.

That makes perfect sense.  I had 2 collections over $100 deleted last week and scores went up 75 points.  I then had a third for $86 deleted but there was no change.

So, fico08 doesn't recognize sub $100 collections but what about 04 and what not?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh wow thanks for that info. Nuisance is right. It's been bothering me because it would cost me more time, money, and effort to fight it than the amount of the bill itself. I don't think it is actually a legitimate debt, but I can't find the final bill as this was from 2009 and I didn't receive anything like this when I closed my account. When I get my next 3B I'll see if it is still showing on EQ.

I wonder if it would have affected my score had it been a recent default? Do you interpret this to mean all nuisance collections are essentially ignored in scoring? While it may not impact my score directly it did show up as a negative account. I would think creditors could see how many baddies I have on my report and hold this against me since collections are pretty bad.

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That makes perfect sense.  I had 2 collections over $100 deleted last week and scores went up 75 points.  I then had a third for $86 deleted but there was no change.

So, fico08 doesn't recognize sub $100 collections but what about 04 and what not?

A $1 collection is counted full monty under FICO 04 and earlier.  Paid collections of any amount are ignored in FICO 9.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.