Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections and Score Simulator

tag
lauramg80
Valued Member

Collections and Score Simulator

I just signed up for the Myfico scorewatch. I noticed that my Equifax score is way lower than i thought it was so I went to the score simulator. It seems to be counting two of my collections as revolving/open accounts in the balance so it makes little difference when i attempt to see what my score would be when I pay all of my actual revolving accounts off.

My question... does the fact that the score simulator is counting my collections as revolving mean that something is keyed wrong on my report that needs to be corrected?

Thank!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Collections and Score Simulator

Yes, it does.  I would dispute the information in writing and just say that there is multiple problems with the account.  The worst thing that will happen is that it will be corrected.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

How old are these collection accounts ?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@lauramg80 wrote:

I just signed up for the Myfico scorewatch. I noticed that my Equifax score is way lower than i thought it was so I went to the score simulator. It seems to be counting two of my collections as revolving/open accounts in the balance so it makes little difference when i attempt to see what my score would be when I pay all of my actual revolving accounts off.

My question... does the fact that the score simulator is counting my collections as revolving mean that something is keyed wrong on my report that needs to be corrected?

Thank!

IMO I would not rely on any simulator being from MYFICO or any other place for that matter. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 9
lauramg80
Valued Member

The collections are from 2009

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The simulator (and FICO itself) counts a collection as a collection.  The type of debt is not the issue when scoring the type of debt upon which a collection is based.

Collections all have the single status as "open" until such time as the collection is closed due to termination of collection authority or satisfaction of the debt.  The identification of a collection as "open" does not mean the OC account is open.  Collections are not accounts with a creditor, so dont have a status of revolving or installment.

The real issue is the status of the OC account upon which the collection is based.  Its status as revolving or installment determines the category of % util its scoring will be based upon.  How is the OC account identified, apart from the collection?

One of the common problems, which you may be experiencing, is that commerical credit reports often mix status codes in their reports, transferring information that applies only to the OC account over to the heading under collections, leading to much confusion.  FICO scores your credit file, and not a formatted commercial credit report. 

Message 6 of 9
lauramg80
Valued Member

The original tradelines are no longer listed on my report. Just the collections for them. I checked my score and it had dropped 70 points since the last time I checked. This was the only difference I saw..that the total of revolving balances included the midland and Jeff cap collections.

Message 7 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

If the coleection agency is reporting the loan type as credit card that might be causing the simiulator to thing the account is revolving. If it is the account  is most likley over the credit limi and also is being included in your credit utilization hence the score drop. Just to clarify the Open account type in the account type field. This does not refer the to the being open or closed.  Open account type can be characterized by single payment accounts IE like a charge card the balance is due in full each month. I have seen where some creditors will change the account type from revolving to Open on closed delinquent accounts becauae at the time the balance is due in full.  One other thing you might want to investigate the satatue of limitations on this type of debt in your state. I would not dispute these trade lines. 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have one collection (unpaid) that shows up as past due on my EQ report but not the other two.  My TU and EX scores are significantly higher and I feel that is what is pulling down my EQ score.  I am going to try a PFD (again) after I close on my house to see if I can get that score up.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.