Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections removed but no score increase

Credit Karma and credit sesame
Message 22 of 33
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Go to Credit Check Total, sign up for the $1 - seven day trial. Pull your reports and REAL FICO scores there. Just call in and cancel sometime next week. 

Message 23 of 33
DollyLama
Established Contributor

And just a heads up your FICO score you obtain are referred to as FICO 8 scores, if you are interested in obtaining a mortgage, the mortgage scores are widely different, with more emphasis on lates, collections, chargeoffs being determential to your scores. 

Your most important thing you can do is get all negatives off your reports, rather they are paid for deletes, or paid collections removed by goodwill letters. Do not be gun ho on credit applications ie. credit seeking, as they will review the new accounts, and inquiries will be viewed over the past 2 years when you apply for a mortgage, they only fall off with age. Keep your CC utilization down, preferably all credit cards reporting zero balance at statement cut not due date, and only have 1 credit card report a balance at statement cut that is maximum 8.9 of the total credit line. 

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know by how many points credit karma is off by?
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not "off" by any number of points.  It CK uses a completely different scoring model than FICO 08.  It's comparing apples to oranges.

Someone's score on CK (VantageScore 3.0) may be 100 points higher than their FICO 08 score using the same bureau information.  Conversely, someone else may have a CK score that's 100 points lower than their FICO 08 score. 

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I find out my actual real score? I went to a few different sites amd they all say the same as credit karma.
Message 27 of 33
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I subscribed here at MyFico and get  FICO 8 scores for all bureaus, along with the various bankscore, auto scores and mortgage scores. For your basic get all 3 FICO 8 scores is the Credit Check Total for $1 as long as you call in and cancel before your week is up. I've used it a couple of times as you have to change emails for the $1 7 day trial. If you are waiting on something to be removed, do it when you think your bureau might be at it's best, a month down the road, two weeks. Or you can pull it today and might get some alerts to score changes in next 6 days before cancelling. 

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
How do I find out my actual real score? I went to a few different sites amd they all say the same as credit karma.

All scores are actual real scores.  You just need to understand the scoring model being used to arrive at that score.  If you are looking for your FICO 08 scores (the most commonly used and talked about) you can get them from CCT for $1 as described above.  If you are looking for a VantageScore 3.0 score, CK provides that.

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:
My credit score increased 49 points. Thanks for all the advice.
Bad news is I applied for a capital one credit card today hoping to get approved to help build credit but I was denied. How many point will that inquiry bring my score down?
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.