Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections reporting wrong balance

tag
mamaoftwins
New Contributor

Collections reporting wrong balance

My husband has a medical bill in collections that was for $800. Last year I got on a  payment plan and paid it down to $450, then my husband lost his job and I was unable to make any more payments past June/July of 2013. Since joining MyFico I have decided to do a PFD letter for the remaining portion to get it removed from his credit report.  After checking ALL 3 of his CR, I notice that they all list current balance at $800. Is this the kind of incorrect information that allows me to dispute it off the report?

2/12/2014: EQ: 700, EX: 716, TU: 722

NFCU CashRewards $25k | NFCU Navcheck $15k | Home Depot $15k | CSP $12k | Freedom $9k | Sallie Mae $4.5k | Amex BCE $2k | 1FBUSA $1.8k |

Gardening until 2016-2017
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections reporting wrong balance

You could challenge it for that reason as its reporting in error.

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collections reporting wrong balance

@mamaoftwins wrote:

My husband has a medical bill in collections that was for $800. Last year I got on a  payment plan and paid it down to $450, then my husband lost his job and I was unable to make any more payments past June/July of 2013. Since joining MyFico I have decided to do a PFD letter for the remaining portion to get it removed from his credit report.  After checking ALL 3 of his CR, I notice that they all list current balance at $800. Is this the kind of incorrect information that allows me to dispute it off the report?

The CA was supposed to notify the CRAs of any adjustments in balance due to payments.  If they haven't done that they would only need to update the balance but I don't think it will be removed.

There are some CAs that will not report the balance until paid off which is a violation of the FCRA for not reporting accurately.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.