cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combing Cap 1 accounts and how it will affect AAOC

tag
apu6speed

Combing Cap 1 accounts and how it will affect AAOC

In looking on the capital one website I have the option of combining cc accounts. My oldest account is 6 years old followed by 5 years, 4 years and 2 years.....3 of the cards are Cap 1 so my question is. I was just approved for and opened a 4th Capital One card- A Cap 1 Venture Card with a 20k limit yesterday. Should I combine this with my oldest trade line which I guess will close the new one after only a day or should I combine it with the 2nd oldest trade line keeping the oldest one the way it is for age ? There are several
Different options and I am trying to figure out what will be best for my AAOC

Thanks for reading and any help you can be of,
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Combing Cap 1 accounts and how it will affect AAOC

I would just combine them into the oldest card.  There is only one year difference in age between the oldest and second to oldest and these accounts are less than 5 years old.

You can't combine until the new card is at least six months old and one card must have a zero balance.

Message 2 of 9
apu6speed

Will this lessen my AAOC ? Once the other 2 are combined will they still factor into my AAOC or are they excluded once they are closed ?
Message 3 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

They will show as closed accounts and be used for FICO scoring for 10 years.  They do not just diappear from your reports.

Message 4 of 9
apu6speed

I Understand that they will show on my report for the next 10 years but will they be factored into my average age of accounts or will they not count because it only for open accounts ?
Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@apu6speed wrote:
I Understand that they will show on my report for the next 10 years but will they be factored into my average age of accounts or will they not count because it only for open accounts ?

Fico uses all OC accounts open and closed for AAoA calcs

Message 6 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I believe they factor in all accounts also

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@apu6speed wrote:
In looking on the capital one website I have the option of combining cc accounts. My oldest account is 6 years old followed by 5 years, 4 years and 2 years.....3 of the cards are Cap 1 so my question is. I was just approved for and opened a 4th Capital One card- A Cap 1 Venture Card with a 20k limit yesterday. Should I combine this with my oldest trade line which I guess will close the new one after only a day or should I combine it with the 2nd oldest trade line keeping the oldest one the way it is for age ? There are several
Different options and I am trying to figure out what will be best for my AAOC

Thanks for reading and any help you can be of,

1. I believe you need to wait at least 6 months for an account to be eligible for a combination.

2. Combining accounts won't affect your average of accounts until 10 years later, by which time it won't matter.

3. Don't combine accounts just for the sake of doing it. Once they enabled that feature I did it with several of my accounts. And then afterwards, and to this day, I wondered 'why did I do that?"

4. Don't close your oldest account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 9
masscredit
Valued Contributor

SouthJamaica -  why do you feel that you shouldn't have combined your cards? I'm waiting for them to allow me to do it. Currently have 4 cards. Two are a few years old and two are from January of this year. My plan is to combine all of them to my new QuickSilver account after the new cards are 6 months old and I try for CLIs. That will give me a credit line of just over $50K. I'll apply for 1-2 more after that then be done.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.