Did you mean: 

Confirmed: AU balance = +16 points

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AU card balance = 15-20 points theory

@newhis wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

IF you would, test if which AU it does matters, and also what's the aggregate utilization with and without the AU?  Wonder if at $0 it's being excluded from revolving utilization metrics?  Pure SWAG based on what you've reported TBH.

I will try to do that.

Anyway this is just for 'fun'. Credit is always changing and I only have 2 more months to test. One of her accounts will report $0 in August after 15 months with a BT.

I think credit score is very complex and sometimes, with a particular profile, could go up or down even if it doesn't make sense.

Let's say that when the AU is $0, no AU counted, her util will be 8.37%.

With this AU reporting 1% and only counting that AU, her util 7.88%

If all AU count, then less than 5.29% (don't know how to count a PRG, mabye 0/HB?)

We may change her Discover due date, so instead of reporting TU FICO on the 18th they will report on the 13th. That way next month I can do the test again and have EX and TU scores for the 13th and then 18th-19th. Unless the due date change takes 1 cycle.

ETA: Discover change will take effect 7/1

Discounted altogether for FICO 8 / 9.

        
Message 11 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate, I just finished the test, you can write this as weird but this is happening. Again, this is with my DW profile and it will change a lot in a couple of months.

5/13 EX FICO 770, 1 AU card with $68 balance

5/14 paid the AU to $0 (Chase) so it report $0 before the next EX FICO score

5/18 CK reported $0 balance on that AU card both TU and EQ

5/19 EX FICO 754, that AU now $0 balance

All other cards and the auto loan same balance as 5/13. The only card that changed balance is the AU from $68 to $0 and the score changed from 770 to 754.

I think this may be profile specific. I just want to say that this is the third time that I see this happening with her FICO score.

Message 12 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newhis wrote:

@Revelate, I just finished the test, you can write this as weird but this is happening. Again, this is with my DW profile and it will change a lot in a couple of months.

5/13 EX FICO 770, 1 AU card with $68 balance

5/14 paid the AU to $0 (Chase) so it report $0 before the next EX FICO score

5/18 CK reported $0 balance on that AU card both TU and EQ

5/19 EX FICO 754, that AU now $0 balance

All other cards and the auto loan same balance as 5/13. The only card that changed balance is the AU from $68 to $0 and the score changed from 770 to 754.

I think this may be profile specific. I just want to say that this is the third time that I see this happening with her FICO score.

Huh.  How many cards are currently reporting and how many total are there?  Getting a strong impression EX FICO 8 doesn't play like the rest of them, which sadly my own data somewhat supports as well.

        
Message 13 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Huh.  How many cards are currently reporting and how many total are there?  Getting a strong impression EX FICO 8 doesn't play like the rest of them, which sadly my own data somewhat supports as well.

13 total (open), 6 reporting balance (with AU), 5 right now (AU at $0).

Last month I saw the same with TU.

This month TU FICO will be dated 5/18 (Disco) and by that time the balance was already $0. 

TU reported 778 4/18, then 757 4/25, a 21 drop.

I think most points were for the AU going from $68 to $0, and a few points for a larger balance in one card. Still below 9% overall.

Message 14 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newhis wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

13 total (open), 6 reporting balance (with AU), 5 right now (AU at $0).

Last month I saw the same with TU.

This month TU FICO will be dated 5/18 (Disco) and by that time the balance was already $0. 

TU reported 778 4/18, then 757 4/25, a 21 drop.

I think most points were for the AU going from $68 to $0, and a few points for a larger balance in one card. Still below 9% overall.

That makes little sense that you'd get different sizes for the same change as revolving utilization doesn't work that way in any of the three metrics.

Any chance you can get more optimized on her file and see again (pay off most of the rest of the cards) as maybe there's some wierdsauce numbers of cards with balances factoring here and there's been bunch of ancillary datapoints (and I have them too so it's not like they're utterly spurious of the "something else in your file changed variety", I know my reports as well as anyone possibly can) where decreases in numbers of cards with balances have lead to decreases in scores.

Something wierd is going on here.

        
Message 15 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

That makes little sense that you'd get different sizes for the same change as revolving utilization doesn't work that way in any of the three metrics.

Any chance you can get more optimized on her file and see again (pay off most of the rest of the cards) as maybe there's some wierdsauce numbers of cards with balances factoring here and there's been bunch of ancillary datapoints (and I have them too so it's not like they're utterly spurious of the "something else in your file changed variety", I know my reports as well as anyone possibly can) where decreases in numbers of cards with balances have lead to decreases in scores.

Something wierd is going on here.

DW's EX FICO: 4/13 774, 4/19 758, 4/26 754, 5/13 770, 5/19 754 (20 points down)

DW's TU FICO: 4/18 778, 4/25 757 (21 points down)

This was just an experiment for something I saw 2 times before, thanks to having more free FICO scores. I don't imagine having a service and see a change everyday.

With this test I just wanted to isolate the AU card to make sure that is the only reason the score went down/up/down 16 points, and I think I did.

We normally just use the cards, let them report and paid them by due date. She reached 800 (TU FICO) Nov/2016. I just checked CK for that date and 9 cards reported balance (5 AUs) the same day Discover reported 800. Since then she opened 2 cards and closed 1.

For now she can't have more cards reporting $0 balance. In August she will finish a BT.

What I can do is let a different AU report a balance. There is an AU card reporting to TU and not EX.

ETA: how about I let 2 AU cards report a balnce (2 reporting to TU and 1 to EX), then pay 1 to $0 (Chase) and see if there is anything different?

Message 16 of 19
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@newhis wrote:

Here is the information I have (score dates, statement date) and my plan:

- AU close date today

- I can pull EX FICO May 13 from Freecreditscore

- Discover TU FICO May 18

- BofA TU FICO May 19

- Discover EX FICO May 19

- Amex EX FICO May 25 or 26

I have 2 options:

a) Pull EX May 13 (with free report), see if score changed and AU has a balance, pay it to $0, by May 18 the $0 should be reported, confirm with CK pull

- This way I will only see an increase in EX FICO the 13th, then all other scores back to where it is now. Test concludes May 19.

b) Pull EX May 18, pull CK reports same day and May 25th

- This way I should see an increase in EX FICO the 13 and 19, TU FICO 18 and 19, and see a drop EX FICO May 25. I don't think Barclay will give a new score, they do it every 2 months or so. Test concludes as soon as Amex reports the score (a few days later)

Reports:

- EX report only from freecreditscore, once a month

- TU report from CK, once a week

- Next CK update in 2 days

Early termination:

- if I get a FICO score without an increase as soon as AU report a balance (May 13th or 18th), then the test proved the AU had nothing to do with the score change.

What do you think? I know this is not perfect but is the best I can come with.

You can change when your scores are pulled?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 17 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@newhis wrote:

Here is the information I have (score dates, statement date) and my plan:

- AU close date today

- I can pull EX FICO May 13 from Freecreditscore

- Discover TU FICO May 18

- BofA TU FICO May 19

- Discover EX FICO May 19

- Amex EX FICO May 25 or 26

You can change when your scores are pulled?

I can change the Freecreditscore EX FICO pull date by not login in on the 13th and wait until the date I want the score.

I can change the Discover TU FICO date by changing the due date. I changed the due date to 5 days early so it will match FCS but it will take effect after July 01.

I was not able to change the Discover EX FICO (creditscorecard).

I haven't tried to change the BofA or Amex due dates and see if that changes the score date.

ETA: if you get a HP (or maybe a new account), FCS will give you another report/score before your 30 days are up. That will change your 30 day cycle. Just FYI.

Message 18 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Revelate:

EX FICO is back to 770 but now with 2 AU cards reporting a balance. I'll pay the Chase card and left only 1 AU with balance to see if that changes anything.

At least 1 AU will report balance for several months (0% promo).

1 card will report $0 balance for the first time after 15 months (BT) in August.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.