Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused.....credit score increase with no changes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused.....credit score increase with no changes

Maybe the confusion is stemming from my lack of knowledge about how FICO scores in general work. Last I checked three months ago my EQ score was 619, TU and EX were within 20 points above and below EQ, I can't recall those exact scores. Today I got a free credit report with all scores (free because I print the report as soon as I sign up for the trial then cancel it immediately) and my scores are now EQ 657 / TU 643 / EX 624, with two inquiries from Capital One and Chase. Nothing has changed since the last time I looked at the report. There's a 5 year old $191 account listed as closed in 2013, and 6k in school loans that are listed but with $0 due since I'm still in school. So how does this scoring system work exactly? This isn't a massive increase but I can't figure out why there was any increase at all with no activity. The two credit cards I have now I just applied for yesterday assuming the score was still 619. Otherwise my report is pretty blank. Any help is appreciated Smiley Happy Would like to understand this process a little better.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Confused.....credit score increase with no changes

Where did you get your scores from? MyFico or somewhere else?  How about last time ?

There is a thread on Fico score you might want to look at that could give you some ideas on Fico behaviour

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Credit-Scoring-101-START-HERE/m-p/8169

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the scores from myscore.com, last time it was freecreditreport.com 

Definitely will read through the link! Looks like loads of helpful information. Thank you

Message 3 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@CallaLilyLover wrote:

Got the scores from myscore.com, last time it was freecreditreport.com 

Definitely will read through the link! Looks like loads of helpful information. Thank you

I would say these are Fako scores and should be ignored as no lender will use them.  Also these scores do not behave the same way as real Fico scores.  You can get FREE Fako scores like this with CreditKarma (TU), Credit.com/CreditSesame (EX) and Quizzle (EQ) but these scores widely vary from the real Fico scores.  But it is always nice to see a score go up. Congrats !

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing reply, I think I get it now. Websites like myscore.com and the like use Fako scores which isnt whats checked when an inquiry is made. Went here for my free annual reports https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action and this information is a lot more detailed. They want me to pay $7.95 for the score but I'm not sure if it would be the Fico or Fako since apparently the Fico score is only available from this site so I'll pass. Thanks a lot

Message 5 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@CallaLilyLover wrote:

Editing reply, I think I get it now. Websites like myscore.com and the like use Fako scores which isnt whats checked when an inquiry is made. Went here for my free annual reports https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action and this information is a lot more detailed. They want me to pay $7.95 for the score but I'm not sure if it would be the Fico or Fako since apparently the Fico score is only available from this site so I'll pass. Thanks a lot

Good move.. do not waste your money on these scores..they are Fako as well. But get your free reports once  year Smiley Happy  Sometimes I even buy a report from annualcreditreport.com for like 10$ just to have access to my SPs... wish all the reports would be as detailed as the ones from www.annualcreditreport.com Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The detailed reports are great but Experian is a serious pain in the backside. Smiley Frustrated I disputed an account that was never mine with all the bureaus last year. Both Transunion and Equifax dropped it stating there was no documentation that it was mine. But not Experian! So there's one negative account worth $191 on all reports, which is 6 years old and I accept, plus a negative account for $2370 on the Experian report that isnt even mine. And everytime I dispute if its not dropped the account seems to refresh as if its being reported all over again. smh Not only is this an issue but they have me listed as living in NC.........I've visited there for all of one week in my lifetime two decades ago so idk how this even happened.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.