Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

tag
naf
Valued Member

Confused

I think I stay confused as to how everything works in the confusing world of credit scoring. First question: on this MyFico do the updates never inform you when your balances have decreased? I paid off thousands and got several credit balances to zero a couple of months ago, but that was never noted anywhere. However, if the balance goes from zero to $100, it's noted immediately and my score drops. And I realize the creditors don't update files more often than monthly, but the reported balances on several cards have remained the same even though these balances have been paid off MONTHS ago. Payments never have posted that I can see, yet charges sure post immediately. What gives?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Confused

You should get the raw credit report for more info.  Act like you are going to intiiate a dispute online and it will give you access to the raw report.  If you look at the account history, there should be a lot more info.  If you aren't seeing your behavior there, then come back and tell us.

Just to let you know, every month there should be a line that shows current balance/minimum payment due/amount paid etc.  Remember every creditor reports to CRAs differently (some on a certain date, some when billing cycle is over, some when payment is due).

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 15
naf
Valued Member

Thanks for your answer but another question ... I know that balances ARE getting listed as zero somewhere, somehow, just from the fact that when small charges are made, it lists the account going from zero to say $100. But I thought several small balances weren't supposed to be a biggie? I had 2-3 zero accounts increase to $200 or less and my score drops from 780 to 762. Is this normal?
Message 3 of 15
kjm79
Valued Contributor

With scorewatch here you won't get an alert when a balance decreases.  Only increases.  And those increases are based on your account settings.  To see updated account information you need a new report.  With scores in the higher range such as yours, FICO gets very picky with util.  So when you do have a higher util your scores will decrease because of it.  If wanting to track account activity close, I'd recommend you sign up for a Credit Monitoring Service that allows daily pulls for the report data.

Ideally, you don't want several balances to report.  You want to shoot for only one small balance reporting to please the all mighty FICO. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 15
naf
Valued Member

Wow. So I have shown to be fairly responsible and get penalized for having more than one account with a small balance. Unbelievable. But thank you for the information. It's a tremendous help.
Message 5 of 15
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Worst part is if you pay off all your credit cards to zero and let that report, you're also penalized.  To FICO it looks like you're not actively using credit and you get dinged for having zero debt.  lol  Go figure.  Overhaul is definitely overdue. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 15
naf
Valued Member

Are you serious? That's exactly what I was going to do - take some investment income and just pay everything off! Would that seriously not be a good thing to do?
Message 7 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kjm79 wrote:

Worst part is if you pay off all your credit cards to zero and let that report, you're also penalized.  To FICO it looks like you're not actively using credit and you get dinged for having zero debt.  lol  Go figure.  Overhaul is definitely overdue. 

I don't know about this, payment history is tracked on Experian at least: I would assume it's used somewhere otherwise there'd be absolutely zero rationale to show it on a consumer-pulled report... and certainly if we can see it, the lenders can too.

        
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@kjm79 wrote:

I don't know about this, payment history is tracked on Experian at least: I would assume it's used somewhere otherwise there'd be absolutely zero rationale to show it on a consumer-pulled report... and certainly if we can see it, the lenders can too.

Sure, you get credit for positive payment history and a lender can also see the dola and your balance history is usually included in the full reports as well.  But from a SCORING perspective, having zero util is a ding.  UTIL is 30% of your score, when you have zero util, for SCORING purposes you aren't actively using credit (even if you did but paid it off before the statement cut).  If all your accounts are zero, your score will be less than say having one account report the small balance. 

Message 9 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@kjm79 wrote:

Sure, you get credit for positive payment history and a lender can also see the dola and your balance history is usually included in the full reports as well.  But from a SCORING perspective, having zero util is a ding.  UTIL is 30% of your score, when you have zero util, for SCORING purposes you aren't actively using credit (even if you did but paid it off before the statement cut).  If all your accounts are zero, your score will be less than say having one account report the small balance. 

I don't know on that one.  Sure, people have played around and found that leaving a small balance on one card often times produces the best result, though that's definitely a YMMV as others have reported differently.  

No activity on a tradeline is incredibly easy to see, there's even a specific monthly code for it: No Data.  The algorithms are complicated, I think you may be under-estimating their ability to generate an accurate picture.  FICO algorithms and scores are generated as a risk analysis (or if you're cynical, a profitability index) for lenders, and grudgingly for us at all... so if data is on the reports, it's because lenders want to see it.  That doesn't guaruntee that they help from a prediction standpoint, but I suspect they probably are factored in.  Banks like predictable behavior, and how much one spends and pays per month, is a really good indicator on pretty much everyone in terms of their behavior... and how much that behavior creates risk for the bank. 

        
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.