cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation Loan...to raise the fico?, or not to raise the fico?...THAT is the question....

tag
22_broke_and_in_debt
New Contributor

Consolidation Loan...to raise the fico?, or not to raise the fico?...THAT is the question....

I was just informed that I was approved for a consolidation loan through Capital One (miracles do happen apparently...) for an interest rate of %16.74 for a term of 36 months. I know that isn't a phenomenal rate, but it is certainly lower than the %22-%30 range I'm currently paying on the cards that I am about to pay off. Also, it's a definite payoff term whereas just paying the cards is not written in stone. I can also take chunks out when I come across extra cash, rather than having to choose a card, then having the CC raise my interest for being good. (Which seems to be the trend lately.) 

The big question is, will this raise my score, lower it, or keep it the same? Essentially, all I'm doing is shifting the debt around, but could it still be beneficial? I am currently at 664 through EQ. I would like to pay this down considerably over the next 6 months, then go get a car before I drop my transmission on the BQE doing 65...Smiley Mad

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Consolidation Loan...to raise the fico?, or not to raise the fico?...THAT is the question....

If you're shifting debt from revolving to installment (which you are), leaving very low or 0% util on the cards, then this should help your score a lot. And you're right, the discipline of having to make that fixed monthly payment will be good practice.

* warning: maternal clucking coming! *

I know you know this, but please be ever-so-careful about not allowing a penny of CC debt to return! It is so, so easy to allow this to happen, and then people have a monthly loan payment and the CC payments. Your best bet will to be to only use plastic for things that you would have to buy with cash, like gas and groceries. Even then, studies have shown that people spend more on groceries when they shop with plastic than cash.

OK, butting out now. Smiley Very Happy Sorry, it's a moderator thing --we add general comments like this for all the other newer members who read this and haven't thought through the potential pitfalls.

And good luck with the tranny!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Consolidation Loan...to raise the fico?, or not to raise the fico?...THAT is the question....

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
And you're right, the discipline of having to make that fixed monthly payment will be good practice.

That and not revolving any more balances will cure you of CC debt once and for all.  Took me over 5 years to get clean.  Keeping clean will always be a struggle for me.  LOL lucky for me DW is more than happy to help.  Also lucky she doesnt consider 0% for fixed term CC debt.  Still better not too do it.

The last payment you make on the consolidation loan will feel like a million bucks.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 4
22_broke_and_in_debt
New Contributor

I hear what you're saying about not running up the cards again. When I came home from the bank signing the paperwork, I threw all but my Visa in the shredder. Smiley Happy I'm going to hold onto the Visa for those special occaisions where I go to my school to un-necessarily pay my tuition (They gave me TAP and didn't tell me) and get towed...NYC is such a joy! Anyway...I've gotten into enough trouble to learn my lesson, and I'm glad I learned it early enough where I can keep my future straight.

As for using a CC for groceries and gas, I don't think it would be a good idea for me. I would probably spend too much, and there's really no reason. My bank card is a Visa, and I get rewards through my CU, which is awesome.

In other news, I got a Score Watch alert since I posted this. My score dropped 7 points, and there's no alert. Smiley Mad I'm not going to worry too much. I'm going to wait and see how the new account, inquiry, and lower util% hit me in the next 2-3 months or so. I figure that's about how long it will take for everything to catch up.

Thanks again for the input! (BTW-My mother isn't as nice...lol)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.