cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions about disputes and FICO score

tag
ewells1014

Couple of questions about disputes and FICO score

We're currently working on getting a mortgage and building a house.  My husband's credit score is pretty low--645, but this particular lender will go as low as 620.  The only problem right now is an old item from mid-2006.  It's from an apartment we rented and when we moved out, they royally screwed us.  So, my husband disputed the item, and it shows up as such on his report.  The mortgage guy told my husband that since it's in dispute status, it's not counted in his credit score, so that's why it's as high as 645.  He said before underwriting will consider giving us a mortgage, it needs to be paid off.  

My questions are this:  1.  It says on the report that "This item is scheduled to continue on record until October, 2013."  Does that mean that the next time the collection agency updates with the bureaus, this item will be dropped off since it's so old?  2.  If we go ahead and pay it off, will the "dispute status" go away?  If so, how much will this affect his score?  If the dispute is no longer on his report, it would just show up as an old unpaid debt, right?  So his score would go down.  But if we pay it off in full, wouldn't his score go up a little?  3.  What are the chances that this will actually drop off his credit report?  How would that affect his score?  

Any and all advice/input is appreciated.  And THANK YOU in advance!! Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Couple of questions about disputes and FICO score

To try to answer your questions

1.  It says on the report that "This item is scheduled to continue on record until October, 2013."  Does that mean that the next time the collection agency updates with the bureaus, this item will be dropped off since it's so old?  There is what is called a credit reporting time peiod which means how long information can stay on your credit report.. The bureau is stating that this will drop off the credit report then. It does not mean you no longer owe the money. Sometimes these things keep having a life of their own. I would pay the debt  off once and for all.

2.  If we go ahead and pay it off, will the "dispute status" go away? No you will need to send a letter stating you are dropping the dispute.. If so, how much will this affect his score?  Hopefully the trade line will fall off the report and it will have zero impact. What is the status of the account now.?   If the dispute is no longer on his report, it would just show up as an old unpaid debt, right? While a trade line is in dispute it is almost neutral in the score calculation. When the trade line is no longer in dispute it will be fully factored in the score.  So his score would go down.  But if we pay it off in full, wouldn't his score go up a little? Paying off a debt like a collection account does not make the score go up. 

3.  What are the chances that this will actually drop off his credit report?  How would that affect his score?  The questions was answered as a part of another question

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Couple of questions about disputes and FICO score

Collection accounts are not removed during scoring.  They are fully factored in.  Or should be. 

Only certain aspects of an OC account are removed from scoring, not the entire TL.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.