Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Alert Question - Account Changes

tag
Madison
Regular Contributor

Credit Alert Question - Account Changes

How does MyFico issue me a Credit Alert saying the status of one of my accounts changed from previously reported "Closed or Paid Account/Zero Balance"  to Newly Reported "Account closed at consumer's request"? I didn't request this account to be closed. This account was paid off in 2002 with no blemishes. I should have 10 years. Who comes up with this stuff? How does it get changed without my permission? How in the heck do you dispute something like this? And most importantly, does this have a negative affect on my FICO score?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Alert Question - Account Changes

This change would come from the original credit bureau, not from FICO. Don't know why the status changed. But it's still on your reports, right?

It actually looks like a favorable change to me, although it is not going to affect your scoring either way. (FICO doesn't care under which circumstances an account was closed.)

But if your history is ever manually reviewed, it looks better for an account to be "closed by consumer" than paid/closed, which implies that the lender closed it on you.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Alert Question - Account Changes

If the account was refreshed- it could stay on for an extra few years too!!!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.