cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Balance and FICO Scoring. What is Optimal, Good, and Bad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Balance and FICO Scoring. What is Optimal, Good, and Bad?

Correct me if i'm wrong... Regarding a credit card balance and FICO Scoring.

Zero Balance:     Very Good but not Optimal

1-10% Balance:  Optimal

10-50%:              Good

50%+:                 Not Good

*Assuming payments are made ontime.

The reason i ask is because i plan to make a large purchase of approximately $10,000.  I was planning to pay approximately 50% (+/-) in cash and the remaining on Credit Card.  I was hoping to get a new Credit Card with a 0% Introductory APR and pay it off within 6-7 months with 750 monthly payments.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Card Balance and FICO Scoring. What is Optimal, Good, and Bad?

Depends on different things. If you have multiple cards, it's best to have all reporting a zero balance except for one. And that one should ideally be reporting at least under 30% but optimally at <10% as you said. Either way, once you pay your balance and your debt is cleared, your scores would recover since FICO has no memory.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong... Regarding a credit card balance and FICO Scoring.

Zero Balance:     Very Good but not Optimal

1-10% Balance:  Optimal

10-30%:              Good ( below 30% is okay)

60%+:                 Not Good  ( bad)

80%+                  Terrible

*Assuming payments are made ontime.

The reason i ask is because i plan to make a large purchase of approximately $10,000.  I was planning to pay approximately 50% (+/-) in cash and the remaining on Credit Card.  I was hoping to get a new Credit Card with a 0% Introductory APR and pay it off within 6-7 months with 750 monthly payments.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it!  So with a $10,000 purchase that means: 1) a Credit Card with a limit of at least $17,000 along with $5000 cash...2) or more cash if I receive a Credit Card with a lower limit.  

This is forum is AWESOME!

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Got it!  So with a $10,000 purchase that means: 1) a Credit Card with a limit of at least $17,000 along with $5000 cash...2) or more cash if I receive a Credit Card with a lower limit.  

Aggregate utilization is different than individual tradeline utilization.  I've had a higher individual tradeline utilization than that (you're <60% in that scenario on the individual line) and my score didn't budge over my prior utilization which was <1% on it.  There's a breakpoint there but it's probably either 80 or 90% based on what data we have now, hoping to test that in the semi-near future after re-establishing my SDFCU account that I let lapse Cat Tongue

Personally literally ANY spend I can put through a credit card cost effectively I do so, there's no reason not to and if I had a 17K line and I had the opportunity to make a 10K purchase and let it report before paying, I would.  That's me though, but lenders don't really care about instant in time, they do care about longer term patterns.

        
Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First question is what cards do you already have, and what are their limits? This leads to amateur observations of whether $17k is in your future.

Second, a statement, I've maxed out many cards with low interest offers, and the purpose of that is to borrow at low rates. Maxed out to me means 80+ percent. Does it lower the score? Yes. So what? During a time when you are borrowing, presuming you've got the credit available, FICO score is not that important. You've got it in your budget to pay it off fast, so use the credit, and build your credit relationship with a CCC. As it pays down, your score will come back just as fast.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First question is what cards do you already have, and what are their limits? This leads to amateur observations of whether $17k is in your future.

Second, a statement, I've maxed out many cards with low interest offers, and the purpose of that is to borrow at low rates. Maxed out to me means 80+ percent. Does it lower the score? Yes. So what? During a time when you are borrowing, presuming you've got the credit available, FICO score is not that important. You've got it in your budget to pay it off fast, so use the credit, and build your credit relationship with a CCC. As it pays down, your score will come back just as fast.

Sorry for the late reply as i completely forgot about this thread.  I am still very much looking.  Days ago i just got approved with a DCU Platinum Visa with a $15,000 limit and 8.5% APR but no rewards.  This is on top my Cap1 QS1 $9,000 and Sears Store Card $6,000.  Still searching for that 0% introductory with cash rewards offer though.  I don't need to make the large $10,000 purchase anytime soon.  Perhaps i'll apply for a Cap1 QS or Citi Double Cash.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.