Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Payoff Dilemna!!!! HELP!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Payoff Dilemna!!!! HELP!!

Hi Guys,

I have a question I can't quite seem to answer. I understand that MYFico score looks at overall credit utilization but does the score break it down even further to the credit utilization on each card?

I have two cards at near 100% utilization. Which scenario would increase my FICO score more in the short term?

1) Payoff one credit card completely and leave a second card at near 100% Utilization?

2) Divide the cash between both cards and bring both to around 50% utilization?

3) Won't make any difference - don't sweat it! 

Both interest rates are comparable and I'm just looking for the best FICO score increase. Both cards should be payed off in the year but I'm starting to look at buying a house and I want to position myself as nicely as I can.

Cheers! 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Payoff Dilemna!!!! HELP!!

The FICO formula looks at both overall utilization and individual utilization. I would suggest option 2 splitting the $$ between the two cards. Ideally you would also have no other cards reporting a balance.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

The FICO formula looks at both overall utilization and individual utilization. I would suggest option 2 splitting the $$ between the two cards. Ideally you would also have no other cards reporting a balance.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, FICO looks at overall util and indiv card utilizations.  FairIsaac has stated in a recent webinar that both weigh about equally.  The worst thing you can do on individ card util is to be at or near max.  I would strive first to get all cards below 50%.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Guys!
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Several members (including me) have posted here that we have gotten away with high util on one card, but high util on two is a killer. This only works if you have a high enough total CL that the high balance on the one card doesn't appreciably change your overall util.

Like everything else FICO, though, this probably varies by individual credit profile, so as always, YMMV.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Several members (including me) have posted here that we have gotten away with high util on one card, but high util on two is a killer.

LOL, I tried do do that with low util, the result of it lead to my new sig.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.