Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Use Question

tag
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

Credit Card Use Question

From what I've read, for ideal FICO scoring, you should have one account reporting a balance and total util < 9%.

My question is:

I have a few revolving accounts. I generally PIF for all of them - I do have one showing a small balance. Since I plan to use each of them on a periodic basis to keep the accounts active, from a FICO perspective, is it better to let each account report a balance on a rotating basis - showing FICO use of different accounts - or doesn't it matter - can I choose any particular account each month, or even let the same account report each month and the scores will not differ in respect to this?

Thanks. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Use Question

Over time it shouldn't matter. The only question I would have is if you would take a small ding for letting a "dormant" account report. Maybe one of the gurus can offer some info.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think activity is coded separate from balance (at least if it is done right). That said, I try to rotate mine. Even if I have a card I primarily use. I make sure I let other cards report every now and then.

Unless you are applying for a new card, loan, or mortgage soon, I wouldn't worry about letting multiple cards report. We are probably talking about a 5-15 point difference between letting 1 card report and letting half report. That difference is not likely to worry any creditor that happens to soft you.

Be smart about your FICO - not paranoid!

Message 3 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Make sure you use each of your bank cards once per quarter so they aren't closed for disuse.

For maximum FICO score report:

1) Total UTIL > 0 and <= 9%, the lower the better, AND

2) Report a balance on less that half of your revolving TL's, AND

3) Report a balance on half or less of all TL's

Message 4 of 5
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

As others have mentioned you want to use your cards periodically to avoid closure (as you already appear to be doing). Activity is entirely different from balance reporting. You could let the same card report each month or rotate it makes no difference. Personally I let the same card (or two) report each month because it is easier for me.

I recently let an account that had not been used in almost 2 years report a balance an saw no score change on EQ. However, others have reported a small score ding, which recovers quickly, when a rarely used account reports a balance. The question is how long does it take for an account to go dormant? Probably much longer than the every few months that you cycle your cards.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.