Credit Card reporting to CRA's

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Card reporting to CRA's

@tufa4311 wrote:

So those are my scores...not so hot.

My credit issues:

-Delinquency: I have one 30 day late Payment from Nov 2013. Min Balance was due Oct 14, 2013 - I paid full balance on Nov. 25, 2013. (no excuses - I was 15 days past the 30 day, was out of the country...it was my responsibilty and I missed it. Used all the "tricks" in the books to get them to remove the late payment, good faith letters, calls, supervisors, made it an auto-pay..they just wouldn't do it)

-Length of time accounts have been established: I have 3 credit cards but only 2 of them report - the other is a AMEX Corp and they don't report. The oldest goes back to Feb. 2013 (I have about 17 years of credit in Canada, no lates the whole time but I huess U.S. mortgage companies don't care about that - or do they?)

-Proportion of Balance to Credit Limit: at the time of the report I have a total balances of $4,457 and a total credit limit of $10,515 (also, the majority of that balance was on one card and it was probable about 50% utilized). All balances have been $0 as of last month.

-Number of accounts delinquent: not sure of this one. It says "accounts", as in plural, but I only had that one 30-day limit.

Lastlly it lists Potential Improvement: Exp +43, TU +30, Equ +41

Comments?

@tufa4311 wrote:

I read a lot about how you should have a 1-9% balance on one of your cards to be reported to the CRA's - in other words, do NOT fully pay off before they report to the CRA (but always pay off by due date, obv.). How do you know when they report to the CRA's? I asked all my cards and they says every 30-60 days - I can see on my credit report that they all report at least once a month but they can't tell me the day.  Many here say they report on the due date, or the 1st pf the month, etc  - how do I know when? And if I don't know when how can I utilize the 1-9% reporting?

Exp: 640, TU: 619, Equ: 610

The best thing you can do is reduce your utilization if possible, and just use your cards regularly and make sure to pay on time. Over time your scores will improve. 30 day late will stay on your credit report for an long time but i don't think it hurts your credit score for very long after it occurs. If i am incorrect somebody can correct me on that. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 12
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card reporting to CRA's

The high utilization and the 30-day late seem to be the big issues.

There are some threads that suggest that the effect of a 30-day late is mostly gone after two years.

You can find the threads by doing this Google search:

site:myfico.com effect 30 day lates

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.