Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Cards Report

I DONT GET IT!

When I first got my credit card it had just 300 limit on it. I really didnt know I was supposed to stay under 200 and I went up to 250.00. Well, I make ALL my payments and i paid my balance off and down to 50-75 dollars. I didnt know this would affect my score. This happened twice. Because of this, my score has gone down SO drastically. I went from a 663 to now a 610. Its super fustrating because I dont see my score going back up... I dont miss payments, I pay more than the minimum but not the full balance as I was told to do, and im never late. How come THAT isn't reported. How come my score doesn't increase? How long does this take ? Its been months! This credit card made things WORSE not BETTER for me! And when I look at it each time it was reported TWICE the same day? why?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Cards Report

@Anonymous wrote:

I DONT GET IT!

When I first got my credit card it had just 300 limit on it. I really didnt know I was supposed to stay under 200 and I went up to 250.00. Well, I make ALL my payments and i paid my balance off and down to 50-75 dollars. I didnt know this would affect my score. This happened twice. Because of this, my score has gone down SO drastically. I went from a 663 to now a 610. Its super fustrating because I dont see my score going back up... I dont miss payments, I pay more than the minimum but not the full balance as I was told to do, and im never late. How come THAT isn't reported. How come my score doesn't increase? How long does this take ? Its been months! This credit card made things WORSE not BETTER for me! And when I look at it each time it was reported TWICE the same day? why?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

It's your credit report, not credit cards report. Smiley Wink

Part of your FICO scores (I hope you're looking at one of your FICO scores, not a FAKO "credit" score) is based on revolving utilization, which is your reported balance divided by your reported credit limit. In almost all cases, the reported balance is what shows up on your monthly statement as your balance due. Even if you immediately pay it (as you should; don't ever, ever carry a balance), that figure has already been sent into the credit bureaus, and so your score is based off that figure.

Next month, pay off all but 10 bucks or so of your online balance a few days before you expect your statement to post (drop, show up online, etc.) Then don't use your card until your new statement posts. Your balance due on that statement should be the $10 that you left unpaid, and that amount will get reported to the credit bureaus. If you pull your scores again after the credit bureaus post this new figure, your score should be higher again.

If you do this, don't forget to then pay off the $10 before the due date.

Never carry balances on credit cards. Keep your interest payments for yourself; they don't need it. Since it sounds like you're just starting out, another good habit is to always have enough in savings to pay off your CC at a moment's notice. So if you have one CC now with a $300 limit, always keep $300 tucked away, so that you never have to worry about getting behind on your cards. Late payments are score killers.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.