Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards or Auto Loan

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Cards or Auto Loan

RobertEG wrote:

Yup.  Closed accounts with a balance have no CL and all balance owed still count into revolving  util, which is the most highly scored in FICO.

Forget paying off the installment loan, and concentrate on the unpaid revolv accounts.  This is expecially critical because you dont want them to go into CO, and then into CA, by the OC, which will raise a whole new dimension of scoring woes for you.  Clear them doggies off the prairie! 

What does that mean?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think he's saying that for utilitization ratio purposes, closed accounts carrying a balance have a credit limit of 0. Hence, they kill your total utilization, and if they count for individual utilization, are automatically maxed out.

Message Edited by JESMONT on 02-18-2009 09:49 AM
Message 12 of 15
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I understand how it works from a math standpoint, but it is incorrect to state that it is most highly scored in the FICO scoring system. This language could confuse the mess out of a newbie.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I look at my credit report, it show a credit limit, but the account is closed.
Message 14 of 15
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

If it is truly showing both a CL and a balance on a closed account, then count your blessings, because those days are numbered. It won't be like that forever. Pay them off as quickly as possible.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.