cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Check Monitoring from USAA

tag
andrewjv

Credit Check Monitoring from USAA

About 7-8 months ago, as a USAA Member, I signed up for what I thought was a great deal.  For a "discounted" rate of $ 12.95 a month, I could get all 3 credit reports, every day, refreshed, and a credit score whenever I wanted it from all 3 credit bureaus:  Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion with up to the minute Credit Reports from each one, refreshed daily if I wanted it to do so.

So I thought it was a great idea and I signed up.

Then after about a month, I began to notice that my score was the same in all 3 categories every day: a "740" for all 3 Credit Bureaus.  This has continue day after day, month after month, for almost 5 months.  Yesterday, my TransUnion Score finally changed to 744.

The information provided on the Accounts does seem to be accurate as far as balances, payments, etc.  There are no notices of delinquent accounts or missed payments.  

But I am not so sure this is worth $ 12.95 a month.  What are they reporting and why isn't this score changing?  

I mean with virtually no credit card debt (I pay everything off every month in full), I would think my scores should be improving.  Or at least, not flat lining for 7 months???

The service for USAA members is provided by Experian.

Does anyone else use this service?  I am thinking of canceling it since it doesn't appear to be giving me any real record of the ups and downs of my score.

Is there a web site (I do use my fico) that really shows a good record of your score.  My FICO has shown me at 759 for 8 months and then suddenly dropped to 752 two days ago for no apparent reason.  It said "late payment" or "credit overload" but I went through each card listed and there are no late payments and I have zero balances on all my accounts.  So I don't know what they are talking about there.

Thanks.

Andrew

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Check Monitoring from USAA

The service from USAA is a resell from a company called Creditchecktotal. CCT is a service created by Experian as you pointed out. I use this product too. It's great at pointing out balances, general account changes, spotting new accounts, dropped accounts, etc. However, there is one component that should be ignored, IMO, and that's the scores and the advice that goes with it.

The scores offered via this service are not FICO scores. They are a FAKO score called a PLUS score and have zero relation to your actual FICO score. Your PLUS score can go up and FICO down and vice-versa. It operates at a different range and both formulas are totally opposite. The advice on there (on the scores tab) is terrible too and is no way representative to FICO.

If you were to pull your FICO scores (you can get TU and EQ FICOs here; it's impossible to buy your EX FICO from anywhere), you'd find that your FICO scores are different than your PLUS scores from USAA's service.

IMO, it's a good service, but most of who have it, get it to track our reports as opposed to scores.

PLUS scores don't update daily as far as I can tell. I've had some major changes happen and there seems to be a delay on at least one of those scores.

I can't speak for how PLUS scores paying on time, but in terms of FICO, you really won't see an increase for paying on time. In other words, you don't get rewarded for good payments and you'll get nailed for bad ones. However, as things age, you'll see small, but gradual increases over long periods of time as your TLs hit a birthday, AAoA changes, etc.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

you have to click "refresh report" on the left hand side of the page

Message 3 of 19
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

The service USAA delivers is the best bang for the buck. Period.

Before I joined USAA, I paid $29.95 for the same service by consumerinfo - and even they could only go down to $14.95 when I cancelled and switched. I don't care about their scores - it's the information about the accounts that can be updated daily is what makes this service so valuable. Sure, myfico delivers the scores - but:

a) no information about Experian

b) obtaining the same info by pulling a report every day costs you how much? $800/month?Smiley Wink

My package includes scorewatch from Equifax and the quarterly monitoring for TU from myfico along with the USAA-offer. That is the best value to get fico-scores AND updated reports.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What products do you need to have with USAA to qualify for this?
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone can get the credit monitoring with USAA.  Just register with them online.

Message 6 of 19
Booner72
Senior Contributor

My FICO score from this site went up 10 points for paying down a maxed out 400.00 credit card to 50.00.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 19
MrCredit
Established Contributor

To the person who stated you cannot buy your EX score anywhere, PSECU if you are a member provides your FICO from EX monthly for free. Just an FYI.

Message 8 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone can get the credit monitoring with USAA.  Just register with them online.

Can anyone really get this service? Don't you need to qualify as a member of USAA? I know their CCs are avail to everyone, but it was my understanding that all other benefits (incl the CMS) required m'ship for which you need to be in, or related to, the military.

Thanks!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 19
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

I have a checking-account with them which anybody can open. I am a veteran but I was only enlisted for a few months so I was not entitled to other loans (i.e. auto-loan). Btw, you can also get their CC without any military-ties.

I could sign up for the monitoring-service without any problems.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.