Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Counseling

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Counseling

Can anyone tell me the "truth" about using a Certified Credit Counseling Agency ?
Will this effect my credit negatively only while in the program or longer like a bankruptcy.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Counseling

Save your money and DIY. This forum can help you and it's free! Credit counseling has NO effect on your FICO scores unless the service makes late payments on your behalf. Have you read the credit scoring 101 thread? Good stuff!

Message 2 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming you take the counseling road.. I recommend NFCC as they are the only CCCS endorsed by the FTC.

Message 3 of 6
tifftiff

I used credit counseling when I got out of college. Big mistake! The first thing that they had me do was close almost all of my accounts which severely reduced my available credit..They negotiated with my creditors to get my APRs lowered, but my payments actually went up. They also failed to make payments to my creditors on time. I wish I had known then what I know now. You can negotiate directly with your creditors. Don't pay anyone one else to do this for you. 
Message 4 of 6
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

The FTC has good info on credit repair, and what to look for to recognize credit counseling scams.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second DIY. 

I just helped my friend get out of 15K in debt in 3 months.  Here are some some fast and furious rules we set up: 

1.  Pay all bills early, every time.  Do not rely on the "window."  Get every account on autopay or autocheck pay from your bank so you don't have to remember anything.  Make an accurate list of all your bills so you don't forget anything, check them off each month as they get paid.
2.  Eliminate of what I call "stupid" charges on any/all of your credit cards:  credit protection, programs you rarely use, late fees (covered by #1), etc. 
3.  Put yourself on a realistic budget, and stick to it.  The basis of any realistic budget is paying all your bills every month and on time.  If you can't afford to pay all your bills and still have money leftover for food, call your creditors and see if they will work with you to negotiate a lower monthly payment.  From what I've seen, most "get out of debt" counseling agencies consolidate your bills for a nice hefty profit, so be very careful if you go with one;  do your homework.
4.  When paying debt down, always pay off the debt with the highest interest rate first. 
5.  Pay off collections BEFORE they get on your credit report.

Between setting up JUST #1 and #2 for my friend,  he's now saving $1500/year he was otherwise spending on late fees, credit protection charges and other miscellaneous crap.  This is WITHOUT modifying any actual spending habits whatsoever.

After 6 months, he's paid off all his credit card debt, renegotiated interest rates on 2 loans and saving himself an additional $3000 a year just on interest charges. 

There are lots of articles online that'll give you sound advice for free.  Check them out.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.