Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Freeze (Security Freeze)

tag
AyalaZero
New Contributor

Credit Freeze (Security Freeze)

Silly question, but am I able to check my own score if I put a security freeze?  Say I want my credit to age, and I dont want to keep monitoring it daily for any unauthorized changes... but I want to unfreeze it when it if say in a year i pull it and it's reached a certain score.  Does anyone know?  Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: Low 500's 2/27/08
Current Scores:Transunion: 700 02/13/15 Experian: 713 02/17/15 Equifax: 736 02/18/15
Goal Score: 770 Across the board!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Freeze (Security Freeze)

Not a silly question at all!  I think it is a good one!

Before going into details, exactly what did you do to "freeze" your CR with the CRA?

If you made an "identity theft report," then what that blocks is the ability of the CRA to thereater report information on that account in any credit report that they issue, until the identify theft allegation is resolved.  It does not block access to your entire credit report, just to the information that you assert was entered fraudulently.

See FCRA 605A, fraud alert, and FCRA 605B, block of reporting.

Message 2 of 6
AyalaZero
New Contributor

I put a security freeze on all three (Exp. Eq. and Transunion).  I didn't make a "identity theft report" as that doesn't apply to me. Smiley Wink  This is what my transunion has as a discription.  It doesn't asy anything about being able to check my OWN credit though... I'm assuming I can?

FROZEN
Your TransUnion Credit Report currently has a TransUnion Security Freeze applied.
You are:
- Preventing others from looking at your TransUnion credit report
- Helping to stop ID thieves from obtaining credit in your name
Starting Scores: Low 500's 2/27/08
Current Scores:Transunion: 700 02/13/15 Experian: 713 02/17/15 Equifax: 736 02/18/15
Goal Score: 770 Across the board!!
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A fraud alert is a special message on the credit report that a credit issuer receives when checking a consumer’s

credit rating. It tells the credit issuer that there may be fraud involved in the account. It does not limit your access to your

file. A fraud alert can help protect you against Identity Theft, but it can also slow down your ability to get new credit. It

should not stop you from using your existing credit cards or other accounts.

A Security Freeze means that your credit file cannot be accessed by potential creditors, insurance companies, or

employers doing background checks - - unless you give your personal consent or authorization.

Message 4 of 6
g0rdy

@RobertEG wrote:

A Security Freeze means that your credit file cannot be accessed by potential creditors, insurance companies, or

employers doing background checks - - unless you give your personal consent or authorization.

Or an insane Soon-to-be-ex.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are concerned about a spouse pulling your CR, you can inform himher that it is a violation of federal statute to do so, as he/she has no permissible purpose.

Even though consumers, for good and obvious reason, wont normally complain if/when a spouse accesses their credit report, it is technically improper.

Personal identifiers are used as a representation that the inquiree is the actual consumer,and thus has permissible pupose to access their own credit report. That right does not extend to any other party, including a spouse.

Once advised in writing of that fact, he/she would be subject to legal action for knowingly violating FCRA 604, regardless of any secrity freezes that may or may not be in place.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.