cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma Trans Union Score - makes NO sense ...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma Trans Union Score - makes NO sense ...

So my CK score was updated with Trans Union this morning.  The score dropped from 595 to 577.

Keep in mind..  On Trans Union I have absolutely NO negative accounts.  All accounts are paid as agreed.  No BK, Judgement, Lien....nothing.  I would also like to note my FICO 8 score is a 691.

Here is what changed to make my score drop.

Capital One - limit increased by $250

Capital One - Balance decreased from $635 to $0

Shell - Balance decreased from $173 to $3

Springleaf - Balance dropped by $89 from $4292 to #4203

USAA - Balance dropped by $718 from $67730 to $67012

USAA - Balance decreased by $29,187 from $29,187 to $0 (we paid a car loan off with money from our savings account)

Also, two inquiries dropped off from 2 years ago.  

Why would that cause the FAKO score to drop?  I would think by getting a CLI (with no hard pull), paying off two cards, and paying down balances on two accounts would be seen as a positive, not negative.

Really confusing.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Karma Trans Union Score - makes NO sense ...

The bigger question is why do you care?  You should ignore all FAKO scores.  There are about 60 permutations of real FICO scores so don't waste your time worrying about something that has no bearing on anything.  It is as relevant as the temperature outside and the barometric pressure.

You will drive yourself mad if you go down this road.

Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my CK score was updated with Trans Union this morning.  The score dropped from 595 to 577.

Keep in mind..  On Trans Union I have absolutely NO negative accounts.  All accounts are paid as agreed.  No BK, Judgement, Lien....nothing.  I would also like to note my FICO 8 score is a 691.

Here is what changed to make my score drop.

Capital One - limit increased by $250

Capital One - Balance decreased from $635 to $0

Shell - Balance decreased from $173 to $3

Springleaf - Balance dropped by $89 from $4292 to #4203

USAA - Balance dropped by $718 from $67730 to $67012

USAA - Balance decreased by $29,187 from $29,187 to $0 (we paid a car loan off with money from our savings account)

Also, two inquiries dropped off from 2 years ago.  

Why would that cause the FAKO score to drop?  I would think by getting a CLI (with no hard pull), paying off two cards, and paying down balances on two accounts would be seen as a positive, not negative.

Really confusing.  

FICO scores usually drop when a loan is paid off. So your CK Vantage score is doing the same.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

OP, there is absolutely no correlation between FICO scores and Vantage scores. Credit Karma uses Vantage 3.0 scores. 

I too have a huge disparity between Credit Karma and FICO 8. My FICO score right now is 708 (due to heavy utilization @31% overall) but my CK scores are 642 and 619. So I understand your frustration, but I don't care what Credit Karma says because most lenders use FICO and not VANTAGE scores.  I use CK to see what dates the balances report and to check my tradelines.  Ignore the scores or you will go off the deep end with worry like Ch7Rebuilding suggests. Smiley Happy  

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three cheers to SouthJamaica!  I think all of us except you missed the small piece of text that was smuggled into some parentheses at the side:

we paid a car loan off with money from our savings account

Sj is certain to be right.  FICO and VantageScore both tend to give you a score drop when you pay off an open installment loan.  Vantage is in this sense tracking in a way very much like FICO.

Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Three cheers to SouthJamaica!  I think all of us except you missed the small piece of text that was smuggled into some parentheses at the side:

we paid a car loan off with money from our savings account

Sj is certain to be right.  FICO and VantageScore both tend to give you a score drop when you pay off an open installment loan.  Vantage is in this sense tracking in a way very much like FICO.

Thank you CreditBuy, you are most kind Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

OP you will want to ignore CK "FAKE"="PHONY" for entertainment purposes only SO-CALLED credit scores. Yes they ARE called free credit scores but they are NOT REAL genuine FICO Scores.

With all due respect to their company, for the life of me i don't see why they don't more heavily promote what they DO offer which is genuine as in FREE CREDIT REPORTS and just drop all the mush and MISINFORMATION advertising your free credit scores.

Can you imagine the COST that it would be to CK if they did indeed offer authentic FICO trademarked scores for ALL of their current members? They would go OFF AIR in the same week Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.